cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cannot ping local router serial interface

mohdrafeeque
Level 1
Level 1

After impliment lease line and configure static route, I can ping remote router serial and ethernet interface but local router serial interface is not pinging,from remote location person can ping to my router serial interface. Any one can help?

6 Replies 6

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Are you using a multi-point frame-relay interface ? If so, you will need to configure a frame-relay map statement that points to the router's own IP address. For example,

frame-relay map ip

where the DLCI is the DLCI of one of the PVCs on that interface.

Hope that helps - pls do remember to rate posts that help.

Paresh

Dear all,

I got solution, may be it was problem of remote router IOS. I restarted remote router after then every thing OK. Thank you all

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

Can you ping your local router serial from remote router?

From where are you trying to ping, from the router itself?

To ping from the router itself to the locak serial interface or remote router serial interface you do not need a static router because they are directly connected.

Can you update whats the ip on your local and remote serial interfaces and from where are you trying to initiate the ping request?

Regards,

Ankur

Dear All,

I know, no need any static route for ping local router interface and directly connected remote interface. But my issue is that Why I can't ping from my router itself.my local router ip 172.16.20.1/24 and remote 172.16.20.2/24 both interface are up. I can ping 172.16.20.2 from my local router, but I can't ping 172.16.20.1. Strange fact is that 172.16.20.1 is local router ip. I can ping even my remote router ethernet interface(ip 172.16.40.1. No comment why ping router interface itself. but normally it is possible right?

I have frame-relay connection and sub interface everything in the same router. But I am facing this problem in my lease line interface. thank u for reply and I hope your reply again.

Hi Friend,

Yes normally it should ping itself. And when you ping yourself , your ping request will go to remote side and comes back though you are pinging locally.

I hope you have no ACLs or NAT defined?

Also is it possible you can shut and unshut your local router serial interface?

Regards,

Ankur

It might be easier to troubleshoot if you could post your config.

Paresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card