Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cat 4507 IOS upgrade

Hi All,

I tried over in the lan group with no answer...can someone look and let me know if this looks correct? Planning on doing an upgrade on the IOS of my catalyst 4507r. I am running dual supervisors and want to make sure I will be using the correct commdands and this is the correct way to do so.

copy tftp:<tftp server ip> bootflash:cat4000-i5k91s-mz.122-25.EWA5.bin

config t

>no boot system flash bootflash:cat4000-is-mz.121-20.E3.bin

copy bootflash:cat4000-i5k91s-mz.122-25.EWA5.bin slavebootflash:cat4000-i5k91s-mz.122-25.EWA5.bin

config t

>config reg 0x2

>boot system flash bootflash:cat4000-i5k91s-mz.122-25.EWA5.bin

copy running-config start-config

redundancy reload peer

redundancy force-switchover

TIA,

R

3 REPLIES

Re: Cat 4507 IOS upgrade

Strange, I just tested this the other day in our lab. Your commands are correct, however (love that word), there may be a problem that rears it's ugly head.

After you reload the redundant peer (redun relo peer) it may halt at a ROMMON prompt. I found this was due to the 'BOOT=' ROMMON setting. Instead of updating the setting, it appended the new file name after the old. So it could not find the new file name. I corrected this by doing a 'ROMMON#>clear boot' command followed by a 'ROMMON#>boot' command. You need to determine this by putting a console cable on the switch processor that was the backup.

I recommend you reboot the backup processor again and verify it will boot before you perform the 'redundancy force' on the "primary" processor. Also, check the booting of what was the "primary" processor when you do the 'redun force' command. It may have the same issue with the 'BOOT=' setting.

All this assumes you have physical access to the switch. If you're trying to upgrade remotely, you may need to have someone available who can perform the ROMMON commands.

Hope this is helpful,

Jim

Thanks for your reply. hmm, so this may or may not happen? is there a way for me to tell if it will happen or not? and if it does, you are saying that i just need to clear what it adds as a boot command at rommon and replace with the correct file name.

Thanks again

No need to replace the boot command. Once it found the file, it adds it itself. But then again, I only had one file on the bootflash when I did it...

I've upgraded 3 4507's in the last 3 months and before I found the link with the commands you listed, I ended up pulling the redundant sup to upgrade, and then swap around. Needless to say it was an intrusive process.

On Tuesday, I tried it with our spare switch in our lab and came up with the problems/process I outlined. It would be my guess the level of ROMMON code would be the deciding factor on whether or not you'll experience the same. Like I said, if you have physical access, it makes it easy. Just swap console ports and look.

HTH...

Jim

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content