cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CATALYST 4500 SLB

UnivoiceLLC
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 4506 Running Supervisor IV and cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.122-52.SG.bin .  I need BGP and SLB however the "ip SLB" command is not available does anyone know hoe to enable SLB on this switch ...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

no difference between 7606 and cat6500. So what i wrote for 6500 applies to 7600 too.

Fernando, it is important that you close questions and don't keep them open forever or else you will have difficulties in getting people answer to your questions.

Riccardo

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

rsimoni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Fernando,

IOS SLB is not supported on the Catalyst 4XXX series switches due to processor scaling capacities.

This switch performs switching in hardware while SLB is an IOS feature purely configured in software; that is the reason why you don't have it.

regards,

Riccardo

Cool thats what I thought..  I was looking into the 6500 series and had a question..  I can get a good deal on the ws-sup720 in your expert opinion can this SUP do BGP and SLB? 

Thank you

yes, Sup720 can do both BGP and SLB, but I don't recommend to have SLB on that engine. If you need IP SLB with NAT you will have High CPU as NAT within SLB is not supported in hardware.

That might not be a problem if you don't use NAT... however the feature is End of Life so if you are planning to have a new implementation you'd better go for another balancing solution (ACE).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/wirelssw/ps5515/end_of_life_c51-552720.html

hope this helps.

please rate and close the question when done.

Riccardo

Unfortunately the only way I can afford the technology is this way ......  I do not plan to use NAT but all examples of SLB is using NAT so is it possible not to use NAT and still SLB, if so then I think I can persue the purchase of the equipment....  We are a VOIP company looking for realtime REDUNDANCY and LB which is obtainable over DNS but would prefer hardware solution such as SLB if possible..  Do you feel we would be OK with the intended us?

I appreciate all your help and your quick responses this is the first time I use ciscosupport forums and I am exttreamly impressed with the speed of responces.

Again,

Thank you

well, I cannot comment on your budget considerations; from a technical point of view if you won't be using NAT (that's possible if your servers are on the same subnet where you configure slb) SLB can be a viable option.

Nevertheless be aware that should you see any type of problem related to SLB the support you get from the TAC or other Cisco organizations will be limited and then after a certain point no support will be given at all.

It is up to you judging if that is worth or not.

I am glad you're happy by this CSC experience. Since it is a forum there is no SLA so it is also a matter of chance finding somebody able to answer to your queries at the right time 

Anyway the right way to express your gratitude and satisfaction is by rating the answers you get (the 5 stars below each box) and by setting the question as answered if no more reply is expected.

regards,

Riccardo

Will the 7604 family also do BGP and SLB what supervisory do you recommend or am i better off with the 6500 series and the SUP720?

no difference between 7606 and cat6500. So what i wrote for 6500 applies to 7600 too.

Fernando, it is important that you close questions and don't keep them open forever or else you will have difficulties in getting people answer to your questions.

Riccardo

Ok cool I'm this was my first question and I don't know but I will close it. Again than you

Sent from my iPhone

Is this how to close discussion? 

yes thanks... if needed you can comment further on them afterwards but answered questions should be closed.

Riccardo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: