Helpful
Replies

cdp over mpls

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

hello

we have 2 routers connected via mpls link provided by our isp

when we make sho cdp neighbor, each router cannot see the other. i understand this is normal.

is it possible to let each router sees the other one as a neighbor?

i think if we can do this, so in cw lms / topology services, we will obtain one link  between both routers. and the map will be more meaningful. isn't it?

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ohassairi,

the answer depends from the specific type of MPLS service that you have bought:

if it is an MPLS L3 VPN the answer is no, because each router has a peer  that is a SP router not the other router of yours

if it is a form of L2 VPN or transport, CDP could be carried over it or not depending on EoMPLS settings on SP devices.

In other words with L2 transport services it depends from SP settings, with L3 no chance to get it.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

hi guislar

it is a layer3 mpls cloud.

the solution i found is : i configured one ip gre tunnel between both routers and i added the command : cdp enable under interface tunnel 0.

the result : each router sees the opposit one in cdp neighbors and i have got the wan link drawn in network topology

Hello Ohassairi,

a very good workaround I hadn't thought about this

Hope to help

Giuseppe

fawzi siyoucef
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ohassairi; 

we are facing the same issue , and we used the GRE tunel work around , in our Lab environnement it worked fine , but in production not . 

in LMS 4.2 the Routers are discovered and , 

SNMP discovery is OK ; 

the CDP is activated On tunnel Interfaces OK 

GRE Tunnel is UP & and we could see that eatch router sees the other in CDP . infortunately , the routers added in th Unconnectd group of LMS , and no link is shwon in the MAP ; any help there . 

sincerly 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card