Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

CEF load-sharing

Hello

I'm not sure about load-sharing by CEF, how it works. Hope somebody can explain it for me:

For example I have two interfaces (f0/0 and f0/1) for equal-cost load-balancing. Now I set cef algorithm for layer4

(config)# ip cef load-sharing algorith include-ports destination

on interface f0/0

(config-if)# ip load-sharing per-packet

on f0/1

(config-if)# ip load-sharing per-destination

What happens now? both interfaces have a route to some host, for example 1.1.1.1. I would like to load-share my http traffic to 1.1.1.1:80.

Global cef config creates one hash for 1.1.1.1:80, so all the traffic to 1.1.1.1:80 should use only one interface, lets say f0/0. But cef config on f0/0 would like to share the traffic per packet, and f0/1 per destination... So I think i do not understand something here.

And one more thing - if i have multiple tunnel interfaces, exiting the same physical interface, so where should i configure load-sharing, on tunnel interfaces or on the physical interface?

Thank you in advice

• WAN Routing and Switching
Everyone's tags (1)
1 REPLY

Re: CEF load-sharing

Hello, Dmytro.

I guess "show ip cef " could reveal you how CEF treats your configuration.

It will show, if it's per-packet.

Please remember, that per-packet sharing could lead to packet reordering that could negativly impact application performance or even lead to crash (in case of UDP or some legacy TCP/IP implementation).

Views
Helpful
Replies