cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CEF, Optimum switching, Fast switching

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

CEF, Optimum switching, Fast switching are switching paths in router. What is default method?? How configure methods???

If I use ip cef command I have CEF, if I use no ip cef what method do I have now???

2 Replies 2

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

From CCO:

CEF is disabled by default, excluding these platforms:

CEF is enabled on the Cisco 7100 series router.

CEF is enabled on the Cisco 7200 series router.

CEF is enabled on the Cisco 7500 series Internet router.

Distributed CEF is enabled on the Cisco 6500 series router

Distributed CEF is enabled on the Cisco 12000 series Internet router.

This means that the default switching method on all platforms (apart from the above) is fast switching.

To configure cef, enable it globally using 'ip cef' which will enable it on all interfaces that are capable of CEF switching.

Optimum switching was available on some older platforms and is not relevant anymore.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

mounir.mohamed
Level 7
Level 7

CEF is supported since IOS 12.1 and it’s mostly depended on the IOS version not the hardware except Multi-processor routers like 7500, 12000 so you may found that CEF is enabled by default in 3660 Right? But its not mean that all 3660 supporting CEF by default its mainly related to the IOS version, On the Cisco 12000 series routers, dCEF is enabled by default. The command to enable dCEF is not available. Also, the configuration file does not indicate that dCEF is enabled on the router use(ip cef distributed)

Best Regards,

Mounir Mohamed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: