Views
Helpful
Replies

CEF running low

Juan Barco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Somedays ago I had a problem with my router ASRK9. It made a traffic drop on all interfaces, I was watching the log and I see this:

LC/0/1/CPU0:Sep 22 10:34:59.456 : fib_mgr[164]: %ROUTING-FIB-4-RSRC_LOW : CEF running low on DATA_TYPE_TABLE_SET resource memory. CEF will nowbegin resource constrained forwarding. Only route deletes will behandled in this state, which may result in mismatch between RIB/CEF.Traffic loss on certain prefixes can be expected. The CEF willautomatically resume normal operation, once the resource utilizationreturns to normal level 
LC/0/0/CPU0:Sep 22 10:35:02.093 : fib_mgr[164]: %PLATFORM-PLAT_FIB-6-INFO : PD FIB object LEAF OOR state changed to GREEN 
LC/0/0/CPU0:Sep 22 10:35:02.093 : fib_mgr[164]: %ROUTING-FIB-6-RSRC_OK : CEF resource state has returned to normal. CEF hasexited resource constrained operation and normal forwarding has beenrestored 

This is a show ver:

RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:ASR9k_BOGOTA#show version 
Mon Sep 22 11:26:47.503 gmt

Cisco IOS XR Software, Version 4.1.0[Default]
Copyright (c) 2011 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 1.05(20101118:025914) [ASR9K ROMMON],  

ASR9k_BOGOTA uptime is 16 weeks, 5 days, 11 hours, 1 minute
System image file is "bootflash:disk0/asr9k-os-mbi-4.1.0/mbiasr9k-rp.vm"

cisco ASR9K Series (MPC8641D) processor with 4194304K bytes of memory.
MPC8641D processor at 1333MHz, Revision 2.2
ASR-9006 DC Chassis

I am reciving full table on bgp from one of my providers, it's around 500.000 routes. I am not sure, this ASR 9000 can only handle this number of routes or there is another problem.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Akash Agrawal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

By default, ASR 9000 Trident-based line card can support a maximum of 512,000 Layer 3 (L3) prefixes. This limit can easily be reached when the routercarries the full Internet table. Please note, sudden increases in the number of Internet prefixes can happen occasionally. Even if the current Internet table has room for a few thousand more prefixes before it reaches the default limit of 512,000 prefixes on Trident-based line cards, a sudden burst of prefixes on the Internet can result in in these log messages.

Once the Trident-based line cards begin to display the %ROUTING-FIB-4-RSRC_LOW message, an outage for some prefixes occurs. A scale profile is a user-configurable setting that tunes the router so it performs more efficiently, dependent on how the router is being used.  The L3 scale profile can handle one million L3 prefixes, which should be enough for the Internet routing table. Here is a document which talks about the router scale.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-25489

Use command hw-module profile scale l3 in order to configure the scale profile from the administration configuration mode.  In order to activate the new profile, the line cards must be manually reloaded, which will interrupt traffic through the line card for a few minutes

(admin-config)#hw-module profile scale l3

--Pls dont forget to rate helpful posts--

Regards,

Akash

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Akash Agrawal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

By default, ASR 9000 Trident-based line card can support a maximum of 512,000 Layer 3 (L3) prefixes. This limit can easily be reached when the routercarries the full Internet table. Please note, sudden increases in the number of Internet prefixes can happen occasionally. Even if the current Internet table has room for a few thousand more prefixes before it reaches the default limit of 512,000 prefixes on Trident-based line cards, a sudden burst of prefixes on the Internet can result in in these log messages.

Once the Trident-based line cards begin to display the %ROUTING-FIB-4-RSRC_LOW message, an outage for some prefixes occurs. A scale profile is a user-configurable setting that tunes the router so it performs more efficiently, dependent on how the router is being used.  The L3 scale profile can handle one million L3 prefixes, which should be enough for the Internet routing table. Here is a document which talks about the router scale.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-25489

Use command hw-module profile scale l3 in order to configure the scale profile from the administration configuration mode.  In order to activate the new profile, the line cards must be manually reloaded, which will interrupt traffic through the line card for a few minutes

(admin-config)#hw-module profile scale l3

--Pls dont forget to rate helpful posts--

Regards,

Akash

Hi,

thanks for your help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card