cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Change VTP server Switch

hernanseijas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have to replace the switch that is the vtp server and install a new one.

the question is should I have to add to the newtwork the new one first and configure it as client and promote to server after the old has been disconnected?

What are the steps to avoid network outage?

Regards and thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hernan

If you only have one VTP server at present.

1) On the new switch, before connecting it to the network make it VTP transparent, then make it a vtp client with the domain name you are using + a password if needed.

2) Connect to the network, ensure it has received the vlan database from the server, promote to a server and then remove your existing server.

Note 1) is to ensure the revision number of the new switch is set to 0. You need to ensure this or you could accidentally overwrite your vlans in your network.

You can have more than VTP server in your switch network so you can promote the new switch before you remove the old one.

There should be no downtime.

Jon

View solution in original post

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jon explained the steps on the VTP procedure very clearly, however I can't assure you there won't be a small glitch in the network when making these switch changes.

The glitch may not be related to VTP on itself but on the Spanning-Tree. When you are adding/removing switches in your network Spanning-Tree may recalculate its path. This recalculation may stop switches from forwarding packets hence the 'glitch'.

I recommend performing this change during non-business hours.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hernan

If you only have one VTP server at present.

1) On the new switch, before connecting it to the network make it VTP transparent, then make it a vtp client with the domain name you are using + a password if needed.

2) Connect to the network, ensure it has received the vlan database from the server, promote to a server and then remove your existing server.

Note 1) is to ensure the revision number of the new switch is set to 0. You need to ensure this or you could accidentally overwrite your vlans in your network.

You can have more than VTP server in your switch network so you can promote the new switch before you remove the old one.

There should be no downtime.

Jon

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jon explained the steps on the VTP procedure very clearly, however I can't assure you there won't be a small glitch in the network when making these switch changes.

The glitch may not be related to VTP on itself but on the Spanning-Tree. When you are adding/removing switches in your network Spanning-Tree may recalculate its path. This recalculation may stop switches from forwarding packets hence the 'glitch'.

I recommend performing this change during non-business hours.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Edison

Very good point. I was only thinking of VTP and not the fact that STP could kick in.

Thanks

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card