Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Channel group duplex changing without taking the link down

I have a channel group consisting of two fastethernet ports on a 7204 connected two two fastethernet ports on a 4006. They are configured as auto speed, auto duplex but have negotiated to half 100. Can I force duplex and speed on one set of ports to remedy this situation and not take the link down. Then when one set of ports is working at full 100 then I would fix the other set. Also does shutdown followed by no shutdown restart the auto-negotiation of speed and duplex?

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Channel group duplex changing without taking the link down

Hi,

It's always recommended that critical devices such as routers, switches, bridges, and servers be manually configured at both ends of the link to ensure that, upon reboot, link flap, etc., the equipment operates in a common mode with its switchport.

More on configuring and t-shooting duplex settings here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk214/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094781.shtml

Also, yes, a shut/no shut will trigger a re-negotiation of the link. Again, we recommend hardcoding all infrastructure links.

HTH,

Bobby

*Please rate helpful posts.

Views
Helpful
Replies