cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Chassis serial number

dennylester
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to retrieve the chassis serial number via the IOS?

11 Replies 11

Bobby Thekkekandam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Which platform?

Some platforms have this ability, such as the 7500 with "sh rsp chassis-info" but others don't, such as the 7200.

HTH,

Bobby

Mainly 1720 and 1721 units.

Thank you,

Denny

Hi Denny,

On this platform, there is no way in IOS. The "show inventory" output gives you the same value as the Processor Board ID in "show ver"

Unfortunately, the only way to get the serial# for this platform is by physical inspection.

I verified this on a lab switch, which, by physical inspection had a SN of JMX0703J0FT

show ver and show inv (snipped):

Processor board ID FOC06520W9E (1100777997), with 1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

W228.07.07-1700-1#show inv

NAME: "1721 chassis", DESCR: "1721 chassis, Hw Serial#: 1100777997, Hw Revision: 0x100"

PID: 1721 , VID: 0x100, SN: FOC06520W9E (1100777997)

HTH,

Bobby

*Please rate helpful posts

HI, "Show Diag" is always better than "Sh Inventory" for seeing the serial number of the PCB and individual cards. "Sh inventory" gives lot of text.

Would someone please guide me to the chassis serial number of a 9200L switch.  I am trying to get into the web interface. I am using the SN:  on the label however it is not working.  I have tried user names cisco and webui along with the all caps and all lowercase version of the user name and serial.

TIA

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Denny,

Which box are you having? If it is cat6k running IOS the command will be "sh idprom all".

Regards,

Ankur

There is a command available in recent code of show inventory. Recently when I had an issue with a 7206 in a site which was not local I was happy to have this command available and it successfully gave me the serial number of the router.

So check your IOS box and see if it supports the show inventory command.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi, Cisco Works gladly retrieves SN's for almost every Cisco device on your network. Not sure if you have it running or not, but you can run reports to get that information fairly easily.

No, we're not running Cisco Works. I am curious how it finds it though. Some undocumented command perhaps?

Hi,

I am pretty sure CiscoWorks uses SNMP to query the router for its serial number.

If you have an SNMP client, you should be able to poll the following OID (from the Entiry MIB):

That will give you a description of the type of router and its serial number

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

This is still limited by the ability of a specific platform to display its chassis serial number. The 1721, for example, does not have the chassis serial# programmed into an eeprom such that it can be polled. If you poll it with Ciscoworks, it will report the processor ID, as displayed by show ver.

However, for platforms that do have the chassis serial# programmed into a PROM or other such chip, you certainly can use SNMP to poll a device for its chassis serial#.

HTH,

Bobby

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card