Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

check leased line BW

hello

please i need to measure the BW of a leased line provided from ISP

i don't need to measure the utilization via whatsup , mrtg  or by transferring file  bla bla bla

i need to measure the actual BW of the leased line that has been provided as when i told the isp to upgrade the BW he said ok but i can't measure it !

8 REPLIES
Gold

check leased line BW

What type of leased line is it ? (i.e  Frame relay, DS-x, Ethernet)

Re: check leased line BW

It's frame relay

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

What I generally do, is use a traffic generator that can specify different rates.  I'll push one side, intentionally above its rated capacity, I then see whether I get the rated capacity on the other end.

Frame-relay can be a little tricky, because you often can go above CIR, but there's no guarantee of that bandwidth.  If you keep to CIR, you should see that amount on the far side, all without the DE bit set.

Gold

Mr. Doherty has hit the nail on the head (again).

In your case, the capabilities of the physical link are not in play. As long as you can hit the CIR with no DE bits, you are good.

So how i can use traffic generator for a certain link

P.s
My network contains at least 500 remote sites with leased lines how can i measure certain line using traffic generator

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Are you using IP?  Are there unique IP ranges on the ends of your different lines?  Then you direct the traffic generator to send traffic to a host IP.

Sure each site has a unique IP
My design briefly
Servers connected to BB -> FW -> core switch -> edge routers -> remote sites

So u mean to install the generator at server ? Can u provide me with a free generator to try it ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Super Bronze

I guess you could install on a server, but I just run from a client.

I use PCATCP (for Windows).

Many others out there.  Search Internet for free traffic generators.

Views
Helpful
Replies