cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

checking traffic at port level

h.wall
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a problem with excessive traffic hitting my network's jet direct cards. I am trying to find a way at the switch level that I can check traffic for a certain port. I have 6509's with sup1 and msfc1. The jet direct cards are hp 100mb. They are the only devices effected at his time. My sniffer shows nothing abnormal. The leds on the jet direct should only show activity when a print job is arriving. The print servers ports have no errors and after stopping all jobs the cards still show abnormal traffic. If anyone can tell me how to see traffic on the port or on the vlan that would be helpfull.

4 Replies 4

s.vyas
Level 1
Level 1

put

#ip route-cache flow

interface command on the inbound interface

#sh ip cache flow

will list the traffic at port level

dbellaze
Level 4
Level 4

Are you running a SPAN on a port directly connected to the printers? You should be able to see exactly what is traversing that port with a sniffer.

Maybe what you think is normal is the abnormality, for example routing protocols, STP, and HSRP can be very chatty.

Daniel

d.serra
Level 1
Level 1

having come from a sys admin perspective, I know the Jet Direct Client software is extreemly chatty. If that is loaded on your clients anywhere, it will cause lots of traffic. I hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card