Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 1401 and PPPoE

Hi,

Bugging problem there, Is there a way I could connect a Cisco1401 (ATM25 output) on a DSL line in pppoE and if yes, what kind of modem should I use ?

9 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Cisco 1401 and PPPoE

You would need a modem wih an ATM25 interface.

These simply do not exist today, and I don't think they really ever did.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

They existed - at least in Germany - but they're almost gone. Ours have an ethernet connector and a "native" ATM-port. You connect to ethernet, if you want PPPoE (ATM terminated in the modem, "translated" to PPPoE) or you connect to the ATM-port for an ATMoDSL-connection.

We use them for terminating a few ATMoDSL lines with (3662) routers that did not support HWIC-DSL but NM-ATM modules.

Because they're only applicable for low speed DSL, and only a few people ever needed "raw" ATM they disappeared in the last few years.

Maybe Matthew can find one on european eb*y auctions.

Cool, this would be the solution then, connecting this kind of modem on the DSL line (RJ11) an just punching in the Cisco1401 Router on the ATM25 on the LAN side ?

could you tell me more about these modems ? (Name, type, Do you have any old ones for Sale ? )

I'm sorry, but there not for sale (we still need the few that are left) and i was not able to find a type/model in our documentation. (They are in use far away at customer sites...)

By the way: You need a modem, that has the correct dsl-interface (e.g. UR-2/1TR112, G.992.3, S102 080), or you won't be able to connect it to your local dsl! Ask your provider - or wikipedia ;-) - which is the correct type for your dsl.

And of course you need a provider that still uses ATM towards the customer - at least some ISPs switched to PPPoE lines - your modem won't see any ATM, if they don't use it... ;-)

ok, thanks for the Advicemate. Actually I think I remember in my previous life using a lucent ATM25 to DSL modem, but actually I'm not sure this would give me a PPPoE connectivity on my DSL provider. Here in Egypt, getting a simple info like 'What protocol do you use' is a immense challenge you see :)

could you confirm me that a ATM25 input DSL router would allow me to connect on a PPPoE DSL ?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Does your 1401 currently accepts the pppoe commands ? If it does, you would be able to.

well there is ppp int. what kind of routine should you recommand me ?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Like:

interface ATM0

pvc 8/35

pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

Muuummhhh.. doesn't look like it :( On an other hand maybe I should update the firmware before. The one I'm running is version Experimental 12.0 .. :D

Views
Helpful
Replies