cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1721 - how to troubleshoot slow interface...

awhkb1ob1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 1721. After I Telnet into the router I use the router's Ping utility to ping both it's interfaces.

The Private side averages 1-2 ms. However, the Public side averages from 60 to 80 ms or even higher. Any ideas?

4 Replies 4

wochanda
Level 4
Level 4

What do you mean private and public? Do you mean you ping the local LAN with 1-2ms and the WAN with 60-80?

If so, what kind of WAN interface is it? How physically far away is the device you are pinging?

I am pinging the router's own IP addresses.

The Lan interface pings at 1-2ms which would seem fine. When I ping the other interface (which connects to a T1) I get the 60-80ms.

I am pinging these interfaces from a Telnet session with the router itself. I would assume that pinging either of the router's interfaces would be VERY fast if done with the router's own ping utility.

I suspect whatever is causing this is responsible for our remote site's slow connection to us. Everything else looks OK.

The t1 connection seems good all the way to the router. Users on the LAN site can ping the near side of the router just fine but report slow times pinging the far side of the router.

I have not had to deal with Cisco routers much (as you can tell) and I am looking for advice on how to troubleshoot this. (Online documentation... anything.) Thanks!

This may be way off base, but have you tried doing a traceroute intead of a ping?

No. I wasn't.

That actually helped a LOT. I am back to troubleshooting. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: