Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1760 router issue on 12.4(25d).

Hi to all,

i have upgraded 1760 routers at work last few weeks to latest code 12.4(25d), last night i came across a router that won’t come up on the network running code 12.4(25d).  But it will come up running older code 12.3(6a).  The 12.4(25d) IOS loads up fine with no errors.  But the Serial Interface stays down/down.  The WIC card keeps a steady Amber Alarm, and Green Carrier Detect.  One odd occurrence I saw was the service module had Line Code Violations constantly change in the Current Interval.  An example would be, it showing about 14,000 LCVs then a second later it goes down to 4,000, then back up to 28,000.

i am really a ware of this problem, since i have upgraded more than 3000 device and 99% are remote branches.

have any one of you came across this problem ? if so, what is the solution for that ?

FYI: 1760 is EOL

Thanks

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Exactly because these very old routers are EOL, you cannot expect a solution to be given, and will have to run them whatever they way they can work.

I understand your point, these routers has a security issue and that is why i upgraded them to the latest code which solves these issues, mean while there is a project to replace these routers, and as you can see we are talking about 3000 router or littile bit more, so a temporary solution will be good to solve security issue till replacing all routers which will take long time, anyways, i am aware of the new issue and i don't want to lose more than 3000 site, so i came here to see if there is anyway to avoid such a problem since it's EOL and you guys here might help about it.

Thanks

Good luck with you 3000 routers deal, these surely do not happen every day and the added bonus is that you expect to  get free support here as well.

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sahir,

As Paolo noted, you may have stumbled across a bug in IOS that Cisco won't bother to solve because the 1700 series is EOL. Our options are therefore limited. If this particular IOS version does not work well for you you may want to try some older 12.4 IOS versions to see if perhaps the problem gets away. Unfortunately, this is more of a trial-and-error approach. No definitive and proven solution can be given, sadly.

By the way, do the working routers use the same serial WIC card as this one?

Sorry to disappoint you.

Best regards,

Peter

Most of the routers are using same WIC, and all of them are running good so far, some of them which i was testing the new code at, are running the ios for more than 2 months so far.

Sahir,

If I understand you correctly, you basically have at least two identical 1760 routers with the same WIC card, one of them working nicely with the 12.4(25d), the other not. Am I correct?

Do you have an option of replacing the WIC card in the failing router, or at least trying to plug it into a different slot? The fact that this problem does not appear with all your routers/WICs hints at the possibility that the IOS itself is fine and the problem is elsewhere.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card