Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1760 startup config

tahir1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

For further study of CCNA and labs I purchased 1760 router. Otherwise working OK but it is not saving running configuration. After changing the running config , I issue the command -->Copy running-config startup-config. It saves. I switch off the router for 3-4 min and then starts it again , and it starts from the configuration dialogue ----and says (n/y),.,,,I press N and it starts as like a new router.

1- What might be the cause ?

2-How to correct the issue ?

Thanks to all.

Tahir.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Tahir,

Either the NVRAM on your router is failing, or your configuration register is set to ignore the stored configuration. After you restart the router, does the command show startup-config show you the stored configuration, or does it say that the startup-config is not present?

Regarding the configuration register value: When in privileged mode, enter the command show version and go at the very bottom of the output. There should be a line describing the value of the configuration register. The default value is 0x2102. If there is any other value, especially 0x2142, it may be the cause of your problems. In such case, enter the global configuration mode and issue the command config-register 0x2102 to set the configuration register value back to the default value and restart the router. It should be able to load the stored configuration again.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Tahir,

Either the NVRAM on your router is failing, or your configuration register is set to ignore the stored configuration. After you restart the router, does the command show startup-config show you the stored configuration, or does it say that the startup-config is not present?

Regarding the configuration register value: When in privileged mode, enter the command show version and go at the very bottom of the output. There should be a line describing the value of the configuration register. The default value is 0x2102. If there is any other value, especially 0x2142, it may be the cause of your problems. In such case, enter the global configuration mode and issue the command config-register 0x2102 to set the configuration register value back to the default value and restart the router. It should be able to load the stored configuration again.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter for reply ,,

Meanwhile I noticed that the value for config-register is 0x2142 instead of 0x2102. I changed it , rebooted and now it is starting from saved configuration.

Best regards,

Tahir.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card