Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1841 Router - configuration

prasad1390
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

i am prasad, i am very new to routers family i have one 1841 router with 1 CSU/DSU card, 2 Ethernet port with 1 AIM VPN Card.

i want to configure NAT and DMZ zone using this router along with the feature of the 1841

Please suggest me how to proceed in this regards.

3 Replies 3

network.king
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Prasad ,

As you have two ethernet ports and one serial interface , you can have a private zone on one of the interface and use nat for internet access and other one you can use it as DMZ

you can refer this document for Nat

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e77.shtml

pls correct me if your question was on using Ipsec as you have a vpn card

regards

vanesh k

hi vanesh,

Great man, Thank you very much for your quick response. You are right on target.

I don't have any serial port in my router, I have 1 T1 CSU/DSU card with 2 Ethernet ports. My router looks something similar to this (without HWIC 4ESW at slot1)

http://www.cisco.com/cdc_content_elements/flash/nextgen/webversion/1800/kaon/1841/index.html

OK, i will configure slot0(T1 Card interface) and ETH0 for NAT and ETH1 for Private zone the router.

i have one more problem i.e i have one more router i.e. 1721 with 1 Ethernet and 2 Wan slots(0- T1 CSU/DSU 1-Empty)this router is provided by our ISP and 1721 router now serving the internet needs of mine. The 1841 is the new router which i am going place in between the 1721 and my LAN.

Please let me know the next step.(guys i am a system administrator working on Windows and Linux Platform i don't know much about CISCO routers sorry to bother you guys asking basic questions)

Hi prasad,

As you will have private ip addresses in your LAN , you need to do natting , so let me know wheter you will do natting in your router ie 1800 or the SP router ie 1700.

If you are going to do natting in your router , then you need to connect your router and SP router with a B2B ethernet connectivity and give a public address(To be obtained from the provider(/30) , so that you do a pat with the public address .

If you are going to do pat in the provider router , then you can have a private address in the B2B ethernet connectivity and do a pat with the public ip given on the wan link of the SP router .

And now the 1800 router is going to be inbetween ur LAN and SP router , so now you have got only one Ethernet interface , and if you a switch (2950 and higher models ) , then we can create two sub-interfaces in the 1800 router and have two Lans on the same ethernet.

pls let me know abt your thoughts

regards

vanesh k

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card