Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 1941 dial to Telstra NextG without username and password

I am trying to configure a Cisco 1941 router for connectivity to the Telstra NextG service using the APN telstra.internet.

This APN does not require or use Usernames and passwords.

The 1941 enforces the use of Encapsulation PPP on the Cellular interface which results in Telstra expecting to see and Username/Password sent. The result is that the Dial fails due to failed CHAP handshake.

I have a Cisco 819 which uses SLIP for the encapsulation, and the dial works for this model.

Can some-one advise on the configuration required to cause the 1941 to dial onto the telstra.internet APN without using PPP ?

Many Thanks

• WAN Routing and Switching
1 REPLY

Reply to myself with

Reply to myself with reference for others in the future.

The new Cisco 819 routers use encapsulation SLIP and do not require a Username/Password to connect direct to the telstra.internet APN.

The Cisco 1941 routers do not support SLIP and the Cellular interface defaults to Encapsulation PPP with the ability to remove. Telstra do not challenge for a username/password, but you are required to define under the Cellular interface to use CHAP authentication with example configuration as below:

ppp chap hostname web
              ppp chap password 0 web
              ppp ipcp dns request

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.