cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2501 configuration - beginner question

kaancho12
Level 1
Level 1

I recently bought a cisco 2501 and having a hard time configuring it. I am trying to access the router using the console port. I have the RJ-45 cable hooked up with DB-9 adapter connected to com1 port on a machine running windows 2000 pro. I go to HyperTerminal and set up the specs for connections like explained here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007c82a.html#xtocid12

But I am lost after that. The RJ-45 cable is hooked up to the console port in the cisco router.

I see a blank screen and nothing happens when I press "Enter" key. This is the very first time I am trying to use a cisco router and I bought it on ebay a couple of days back. It might have been preconfigured but I thought I would still be able to acccess the router through console port.

Is there some command or some other program that I need to use to see the router. I cannot find any other documentation online. Any ideas?

Thanks

ko12

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I believe that those who have suggested checking the cable to make sure that it is the proper type of cable for console connection (roll over) have started with the best and most obvious suggestion. If you have access to any other routers I would suggest using this cable to connect to some other router and see if it works on the other router.

In addition I would suggest the possibility that the router console port speed might have been changed for some reason. Once you are comfortable that the cable works you might try changing the speed of the emulator (hyperterm) and connecting at the various speeds. The 2500 console can operate at speeds of 1200, 2400, 4800 in addition to the normal 9800. With Hyperterm you probably need to stop the connection and start the connection each time you change the speed.

One other suggestion is to ask if you connect to the console port and then boot the 2500 do you see any output on the screen (it might be readable text or it might be garbage characters). If you see readable text it verifies that the cable is ok and the speed is ok. If you get readable text but your commands do not go through it points to a bad console port. If you get garbage characters it points to incorrect speed as the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

Are you sure you have a roll-over cable? and that you com1 settings are as the link configs?

Step 1 Connect the terminal using the thin, flat, RJ-45-to-RJ-45 roll-over cable (looks like a telephone cable) and an RJ-45-to-DB-9 or RJ-45-to-DB-25 adapter (labeled "TERMINAL") included with the router. (See Figure 3-15.)

Step 2 Configure your terminal or PC terminal emulation software for 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, and 2 stop bits.

let us know,

vlad

You may also want to try the "AUX" port.

It's (by default) configured for autobaud (speed) and will autoconfig for straight-through or crossover rs232 cabling (DCE/DTE).

If you open a terminal session on the AUX port, you need to send a couple "Returns" to get the port to sync-up.

The AUX port is usually not messed with much in Labs, so it's more likely that it's also still at the default config (if the router didn't come from a production environment).

If you can't get anything on the AUX port, then your cable is probably incorrectly configured.

If you have the tools available, you can make a cable pretty easily. Starting with an eight-conductor "Silver Satin" cable (flat & wide rather than ~1/4" round), cut off one end.

Lay the cable out flat on the floor with the remaining connector clip facing up. On the other end, crimp on another (eight-conductor) RJ45 with the clip facing down a rolled cable exactly swaps the conductor positions (1->8, 2->7, 3->6 etc.).

If it still doesn't work, then your serial adapter is probably not pinned-out properly. You can buy rj45/DB9 adapters at many electronics stores (I'm pretty sure Radio Shack still has 'em).

Good Luck

Scott

sean
Level 3
Level 3

The correct config can be remembered as 9600, 8, none, 1. The stop bits need to be 1, not 2. Also, set flow control to none. Hope this helps.

Hi Friend,

In addition to all if you have right cable and right settings and still ou do not see anthing on console port, you may try that out with few more roll over cables but if it still does not show anything on console prompt it may be a bad console port so you may need to get the router replaced.

Ankur

I tried your suggestion but it gave me the same results as last time. After I checked the RJ-45 cable though it seems that it is not a rollover cable. It might be a regular RJ-45 cable. I compared the cable I have with the picture at this link - below and it was incorrect.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/illus/1/40/127840.jpg

On a side note, I had a problem with my windows 2000 configuration. For some reason the com1 port is not detected unless com2 port installation is removed. So if I start the computer the driver for that port is automatically installed and I go to the device manager and remove the installation. Only after I remove the com2 port do I see com1 port in HyperTerminal. Is there a way to test if com1 port is really working?

thanks for your help

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

make sure your cable used is rolled over cable...and when you go for hyperterminal then when it is ask for the various settings of start and stopbit as well as baudrate then click on restore default setting...then checkit out...

regards

Devang

I believe that those who have suggested checking the cable to make sure that it is the proper type of cable for console connection (roll over) have started with the best and most obvious suggestion. If you have access to any other routers I would suggest using this cable to connect to some other router and see if it works on the other router.

In addition I would suggest the possibility that the router console port speed might have been changed for some reason. Once you are comfortable that the cable works you might try changing the speed of the emulator (hyperterm) and connecting at the various speeds. The 2500 console can operate at speeds of 1200, 2400, 4800 in addition to the normal 9800. With Hyperterm you probably need to stop the connection and start the connection each time you change the speed.

One other suggestion is to ask if you connect to the console port and then boot the 2500 do you see any output on the screen (it might be readable text or it might be garbage characters). If you see readable text it verifies that the cable is ok and the speed is ok. If you get readable text but your commands do not go through it points to a bad console port. If you get garbage characters it points to incorrect speed as the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

thanks for the reply. I have another beginner question I guess. How do I test the RJ-45 rollover cable to see if it actually works? I attached my laptop to my desktop to see if it made any connection without using a db-9 adapter (just connected the ethernet ports) but I did not see any connection.

I have attached pictures of RJ-45 rollover cable that I received with the purchase. I am not sure this is a rollover cable because the wire colors do not match the specs defined for a rollover cable.

I finally bought a RJ-45 rollover cable and tried to hook it up to the router through hyperterminal but did not notice anything.

After hooking the console port on the router to the computer - should i notice something in the hyperterminal screen right away or do I need to type in something. I did wait for a period of 30 seconds but did not notice the intial welcome screen from the cisco. Any ideas?

thanks

kaancho

When you connect your PC to the router console port via a correct rollover cable you will need to press Carriage Return (Enter on most keyboards) perhaps several times. This should get a response and a prompt from the router.

If you connect your PC to the router console port via a correct rollover cable and then power cycle the router you should see messages on your screen representing the progress of booting the router. This is one way to verify that you have a correct cable.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

whew, i finally connected the router with the computer. It was the com port on my desktop that was faulty. I hooked another desktop and the it displayed the configuration titles and other information just fine. looking forward to learn more about cisco.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card