cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2620 and WIC-1ADSL

chalcocisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. We have two Cisco 2620s, running IOS 12.3(15b) with the IP Base feature set. We purchased two WIC-1ADSL cards, and are having problems with them. The output of show diag shows the card plugged into WIC 0. However, there is an error message on boot saying "Unkown WIC card". When I go to configure the cards, there is no atm interface type. (By which I mean, there are many different interface types such as tunnel, token ring, etc, of which we have none, so I assume atm should be listed regardless of the presence of a card.) Neither card works in either 2620. We called TAC, and they have confirmed the cards are old stock, 2 years out of warranty. I'm assuming both cards are bad, but why is there no atm interface to configure?

Many thanks,

Anthony

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mihanlin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Anthony,

I have found your most likely problem.

The IP featureset on 12.3(15b) does not have ADSL included. You will either have to upgrade to IP Plus featureset for 12.3, or go to 12.4 IP Base (which has it included).

Use this tool: http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/ISTMAIN/servlet/index

It allows you to find particular features for your IOS software and tells you what is included.

I hope this helps.

Also please note that there is no IP Base featureset for the 2620 (from the IOS upgrade planner on cisco.com). You may have meant that you have the "IP Featureset" instead?

Michael.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

froggy3132000
Level 3
Level 3

Are you sure those cards are compatible with your router platform?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/tk15/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a0080093bff.shtml

Yes, they are compatible. The cards are the standard WIC-1ADSL, not the -DG or -I-DG version. That page lists the standard card as compatible with models 2610 to 2651.

Current thinking is the cards are ok, but the IOS version is wrong. From that same page, however, comes this: "From Cisco IOS Software Release12.3 mainline and later, ADSL WIC support is available in the "IP Base" feature set." I take that to mean our version (12.3(15b)) should support the cards.

mihanlin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Anthony,

I have found your most likely problem.

The IP featureset on 12.3(15b) does not have ADSL included. You will either have to upgrade to IP Plus featureset for 12.3, or go to 12.4 IP Base (which has it included).

Use this tool: http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/ISTMAIN/servlet/index

It allows you to find particular features for your IOS software and tells you what is included.

I hope this helps.

Also please note that there is no IP Base featureset for the 2620 (from the IOS upgrade planner on cisco.com). You may have meant that you have the "IP Featureset" instead?

Michael.

That clears things up. Thank you very much.

Yes, I did mean the IP Featureset.

Anthony

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card