Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 2620 with WIC 1T

gurkamal01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I want to connect my home router to internet so that i can access from my office. i have a 2620 router with 1 wic-1T module and one ISDN BRI u in its slots

what i have at home for internet is digital broadband box from which a cable which is Tia/Eia 568 runs to my computer ethernet port

the connectors at both look like an RJ45 but a slightly bigger

do i still need to attach to the wic1t or not

how does it work?

One thing by external IP address you mean internet right?

please guide me cause everything i learn is from here

Thanks a lot

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No, it is a module for seial interfaces like V.35 and similar.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, the router that you have is not very apt for that, because it lacks a second ethernet interface to connect you cablemodem. The wic 1T anjd the ISDN BRI are of no use to you.

I understand you want to learn with cisco, but it can be very expensive and time consuming.

If you want something easy, get like a broadband linksys router, the model with ethernet wan. If you really really want a cisco, swap the wic cards you've now with a wic-1e, or get an 851 or 871. These are also made in wireless vesion costing a bit more.

Hi

Appreciate your response. I'm bugging you again for the following four questions.

1.What if i have DSL at my home, will that work with the WIC 1T or ISDN BRI the AUX port?

2.And how will it be if i have dial-up ?

3.How is the WIC 1T and ISDN BRI used in production enviornment?

4.I already have a DLINK router at home which is attached to the cable modem. What do i need to do next?

Thanx a ton! I will rate the post

1. no

2. you can connect a dialup modem to aux port.

3. T1 is for serial interface. ISDN BRI is often used for back-up.

4. get material for like, a ccna course, pool used router to practice together. One only is not enough.

Hi

i appreciate it sir

one last thing

Is the wic 1T serial module with terminal adapter used as a ISDN PRI T1 connection or if no then what?

and if yes then does the wic 1T already have an inbuilt CSU/DSU

thanks a lot

No, it is a module for seial interfaces like V.35 and similar.

Hi

i appreciate your response

v.35 is cable standard right which connects to DCE Right?

what is the differece between a serial and ISDN connection

can anybody please help me with that?

Yes V35 connects to DCE in most cases.

Serial interface is V.35 in most cases and does data only.

ISDN can be BRI or PRI, can be used for both data and voice. All these use different electrical standards and cannot be mixed.

I suggest you start readin some basic networking article on cisco website or the leading online encyclopedia.

Hi

what is most commonly used to connect 2 sites thru routers ISDN or Frame relay

can you suggest me a link for the reading on cisco website or online encyclopedia

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco