cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2621 with two Ethernet Wan Ports?

pstreeter
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2621 with two unused WIC WAN Ports and would like to use them. Can I put 2 WIC-1ENET in the two WAN slots? If this will not work, then what would be the proper item? Some people are saying that I have to buy a network Module and NOT use the WAN ports at all. I want to provide internet fail over protection for our network. We have a T1 and Cable connections. One WAN port would connect to the T1 and the other would connect to the Cable Modem. When the T1 fails, the Cable modem can take over. Some people say that the WIC-1ENET wont work in the 2621 and others say it will. I was under the assumption that the 2621 shared modules with the 1700 series routers. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not sure what you between 2 ethenet ports.

Since you first said you had 2 unused wic ports I am suspecting you are buying a t1 intenet connection but there is another router that the t1 terminates on and it connects to your router via ethernet.

This would be the same problem as if I had 2 cable modems. The problem is that even if you unplug the t1 or cable the ethernet port stays up. You have to have another method to determine if it is down This is why people run routing protocols like BGP to the ISP to detect outages.

There are ways in the very newest IOS that lets you in effect ping something out both interfaces and base your path selection on the response.

If you have a real t1 terminating on the router it is easy and you can use floating static routes. When the t1 goes down the floating static to the cable modem will be preferred and take over.

If you do not control the t1 your best option is to try to get the ISP to allow you to control it. It is easier to maintain a t1 that it would be to try to get failover to work between 2 ethernet ports. Most ISP's will allow you to connect the t1 to your routers.

This link is as close to a example I can fidn that shows how to select between 2 ethernet port based on a external item

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080457bcc.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

(1)WIC-1ENET does not work on 2621

(2)You need to have NM-1E (1 ethernet network module)

Pls rate helpful posts.

Regards

JD

Thank you for the response. If I'm not mistaken, the NM-1E only has one ethernet port. Would I use the NM-4E instead? Can I create a failover between two ehternet ports on the NM-4E? If the T1 fails, the Cable Modem can take over.

Not sure what you between 2 ethenet ports.

Since you first said you had 2 unused wic ports I am suspecting you are buying a t1 intenet connection but there is another router that the t1 terminates on and it connects to your router via ethernet.

This would be the same problem as if I had 2 cable modems. The problem is that even if you unplug the t1 or cable the ethernet port stays up. You have to have another method to determine if it is down This is why people run routing protocols like BGP to the ISP to detect outages.

There are ways in the very newest IOS that lets you in effect ping something out both interfaces and base your path selection on the response.

If you have a real t1 terminating on the router it is easy and you can use floating static routes. When the t1 goes down the floating static to the cable modem will be preferred and take over.

If you do not control the t1 your best option is to try to get the ISP to allow you to control it. It is easier to maintain a t1 that it would be to try to get failover to work between 2 ethernet ports. Most ISP's will allow you to connect the t1 to your routers.

This link is as close to a example I can fidn that shows how to select between 2 ethernet port based on a external item

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080457bcc.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card