cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2921 ISR for routing 100Mbps ISP internet?

hinewwiner1234
Level 1
Level 1

Okay I am new to here and have been reading reading posts here.

It seems that Cisco mentioned, in their data sheet of 2921 ISR, that it can support up to 50Mbps. However, from Google search, it says 2921 can handle 100Mbps with no problem.

I am planning on getting 2921 ISR in small office where only ~10 people are connected to it. And we do have two different line of 100Mbps ISP internet line  and wish to share them in the office.

I am confused why ~$2k router can not support 100Mbps where ~$100 consumer routhers like Linksys has no problem with handling that speed.  The reason why I am planning on 2921 is the rich feature like Voip solution (CME) it offeres.  I have several remote offices that needs to be connected with Voip phones. and I could go with UC500 series but it seems to me UC500 does not support IP Phone 9900 series... so...

So can someone tell me if 2921 ISR support 100Mbps?

Thank you so much!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

2921 can handle up to 245Mbps throughput

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

2921 can handle up to 245Mbps throughput

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

100 Mbps is the physical access speed and doesn't means much in itself.

Try asking the ISP what is the actual speed that you can have to the internet, or use some speedtest tool, and let us know.

I understand what you mean, but in my area I am actually getting 100Mbps from several speed test sites.

Thanks anyway!

That is the first time hear something like that, and I would love to see it first hand, especially for the upload speed.

Anyway, good for you then.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Cisco rates the 2921 at 352 Kpps for 64 byte size packets.  Since Ethernet requires 148.8 Kpps for 100 Mbps for 64 bytes size packets, 352 Kpps should handle 100 Mbps duplex, but this also assumes the router isn't supporting any services (and also usually assume all fast path processing).

Taking into account everything that you might want to do with traffic, from NAT, to firewall support, to QoS, Cisco recommends the 2921 for up to 50 Mbps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card