Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 3270 Applications

My company is involved in some early design stages developing an integrated RF control system for the Navy.  The system in question will be used in a wide range of rugged and extreme conditions: desert bases, shipborne, etc.  The system will additionally communicate via several "modules" which are essentially computers configured for various purposes.

Standard protocol would coordinate the data sharing between these device modules through a ruggedized network switch, but to minimize the "rat's nest" of cabling we're considering a rugged wireless solution such as the Cisco 3270.

I realize that I might be overlooking the obvious, but, is it possible to easily augment a ruggedized computer to communicate with this router? I didn't notice a PC Card designed to communicate with this router, does it exist? Is the data loss sufficiently low to fully justify high-risk communication via a wireless network? One of the "computer" modules will likely need to communcate via a hardline due to extreme distances, I'm assuming this is not an issue, how many available ethernet ports does the 3270 have, and what is the wireless range for the router itself?

Are the testing performance specs available on the advertized miltiary standards that the device achieves? Such as 810F, etc.

Perchance this is much more of a sales-type question, but I figured this forum was worth a shot. Thanks in advance for your information.

Everyone's tags (3)
Views
Helpful
Replies