cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3725- IBM OSA Express Token Ring connection

navarrodj
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 3725 router which has an Ethernet port connection to an IBM RS6000 PC and a token ring port connection to an IBM mainframe via a token ring adapter in a 3174 controller (VTAM node type=LOCAL). This configuration works just fine.

I have changed the way the router is connected to the mainframe. The connection is now via an OSA-Express token ring adapter instead of a 3174 controller and the VTAM node definition is type=SWNET, that is, it's now a switched type network where the PC has to dial in (XID protocol) into the mainframe. This new configuration does not work

My question is: Does the Cisco router 3725 configuration need to be changed to accommodate this new type of connection? And if so, what needs to be changed.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated

6 Replies 6

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

Can you please provide a copy of your router config as it worked. Also can you provide a copy of your Major node and switched major node.. Are you using DLSW for your transport or RSRB??

Here is the requested info.

Thanks again for looking into this.

I'm sorry, but I forgot to mention that we are not using DLSW

Thanks for the files... How do you have the Token Rng OSA Express configured? Are you running IP on it? Is their an OAT table config. Also what is the MAC address of the TOken OSA card. That would cause your issue if you do not have the correct mac address that your PC's are pointing to...When it was working wht was the setup for the PC's to access the mainframe? What did they use to get in???

We are not running IP on the OSA-Express token ring card, it's configured for SNA non-qdio mode, and there is an OAT configuration. The MAC address is 400031740101, which is what the RS6000 is pointing to. The RS6000 configuration is not changed. It's the same as when it's connected to the mainframe via a 3174 controller (the current setup that works). The only change is that we now connect via OSA adapter. In this new setup, there is no communication; although we have other RS6000's that work, the only difference being that there is no router involved. I have attached a simple diagram of the connection.

Regards,

Can you please reattach your router config. Some reason it is missing..

In addition, can you please look into:

Did you receive any of the following:

1) Any system messages regarding the failure or sense codes.

2) Does the UCB E40 become active under MVS?

3) If you activate the XCA do you receive any errors.

4) Also how do you have the OSA defined for speed and duplex. You should force it to 16Meg Full Duplex.

5) Do your LU's show pending or active?

6) Dependant upon if any sense code comes back you may need to change the Timer value on your XCA from 60 to something else dependant upon the error message sent, if any..

7) By chance, try changing the RAN from 0 to 1 in the XCA node, to see what happens...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card