cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3725 multiboot

omar_elmohri
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 3725 with a 32MB of flash memory, to have an IOS with Advanced Security.

to do this I updrade my flash to 64MB as slot0.

Now I have two IOS, but the problem is how to choose the IOS:

the config register is set at 0x2102

the boot system command is set at :

boot system flash slot0:[IOS file]

What I have to do to boot from the new IOS??

17 Replies 17

Hello Omar,

the IOS specified in the command already mentioned by you, boot system flash slot' is the first one, if valid, that is loaded.

Can you post the output of 'dir flash', as well as the actual boot command you have configured on your router ?

Regards,

GP

well, i haven't the corrct out put, but here is what I found :

dir flash

(the old IOS, IP base)

(the new IOS, Advanced security)

the boot commande is as :

boot system flash slot0:[the ios file name .bin]

while rebooting the router it runs directely the old IOS.

Sincerely,

Omar,

what is the sequence of your boot system flash command?

boot system flash "old iso.bin"

boot system flash "new iso.bin"

if this is the sequence please change and test

boot system flash "new iso.bin"

boot system flash "old iso.bin"

the first acceptable IOS will be loaded (the sequence is the bootflash command..)

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

the boot system is as:

boot system flash slot0:"new IOS"

i don't included the old IOS to the commande.

the new IOS is in the new compact flash installed, and the old is in the old flash.

do I need to add the commend (boot system of the old IOS) at the bottom??

Sincerely,

Omar,

Hi

For redundancy purpose you can mention the old ios also as your secondary ios which can be used in case of any problem with the primary(new) ios.

but do make sure that your new ios boot flash command stays before your old ios boot command so that you have your switch booted up with the required feature set.

regds

Thx, what I have is a router, and the problem is with the two IOS installed I cannot boot from the new IOS unless the boot system is configured to load the new IOS. I made only one entry for the command and I only specify the new IOS for the commande.

the configure register is 0x2102.

Sincerely

Did you try this version:

boot system slot0:new-config

Is there any message during the boot?

bye

FCS

I made that configuration, and during the boot I had any error message..I can't see it now beause the router is installed at a client, while our client is a bank, so i can't access the router until the weekend.

And did you successfully copied the IOS from tftp, I am worring about the checksum, if you can access the device check it with verify command.

bye

FCS

ths IOS was coppied succesfuly

Mark Pareja
Level 1
Level 1

Or you can try this >>>

send 'BREAK' at POST and enter RMON mode

Then depending on how your feeling that particular day execute one of the fallowing commands

a.) boot flash:[Image_A].bin

b.) boot flash:[Image_B].bin

Fallow typical " boot system " commands to make the newly loaded IOS your perminate choice

the IOS is installed on slot0, does the commande

boot falsh:[ios]

works or i new to specify the slot0 ??

johnnylingo
Level 5
Level 5

Did you find a solution to this? I'm having a similar problem with one of our 3725s. I've copied the new IOS image to slot0: via FTP and verified checksum, but the router continues to boot the old version off the onboard flash. Unfortunately I don't have console access, so don't know what the exact error message is.

#sh start | inc boot

boot-start-marker

boot system flash slot0:c3725-ipbasek9-mz.124-3e.bin

boot-end-marker

#dir slot0:

Directory of slot0:/

1 -rw- 15045940 Aug 11 2006 11:35:38 +00:00 c3725-ipbasek9-mz.124-3e.bin

63885312 bytes total (48836608 bytes free)

#verify /md5 slot0:c3725-ipbasek9-mz.124-3e.bin

........................................................................................Done!

verify /md5 (slot0:c3725-ipbasek9-mz.124-3e.bin) = 97c93e78c3adf0c1f68aac3d259dd428

This is a 3725 with 32 MB onboard flash, 64 MB compact flash, 128 MB DRAM currently running 12.3(5a). Is it possible that the 3700s do not support booting off the compact flash and only support the onboard flash?

Hello,

I'm not sur about that, it may works!! if not why we have to add a flash!! but I didn't found a solution yet to the problem.

It's that I have other things to do, so I let this for next week, beause I want to upgrade the IOS to Advanced Security.

If you have a new please inform me, and I'll do so.

Sincerely,

Omar,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco