Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3750 Switch stacking

Ali Bahnam
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

I have two 3750 layer3 switches and I need to connect them via stack cable.

so if I connect them with the stack they will be act as an one switch, but for the configuration if I create a VLANs on the master switch (applied all the configuration on the master one) this configuration will be transfered to the slave one or I have to repeat the configuration that I did on the master.

Apprecite your advice.              

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Just Connect the stack cables in cross fashion and configure below configuration mode commands in the switches.

Example:

SW(config)#switch 1 provision ws-c3750x-48

SW(config)#switch 2 provision ws-c3750x-48

SW(config)#stack-mac persistent timer 4

Note: In place of switch type "ws-c3750x-48" mentioned in my example please choose your switch module.

Please rate helpful posts.

Warm regards.

Ameya Oke

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ameya_oke
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ali,

Once you configure two  3750 switches in Stack, you will have 1 control plane and 2 data planes.

The data traffic that lands on any interface of the physical switch would be processed by the CPU of that switch itself so data packets are processed seperately.

As i mentioned the control plane is one which means if you configure one Vlan, it is automatically extended to slave no need to configure both the switches seperately.

Warm Regards,

Ameya Oke

Thank you for your clarification,

So the stack cable only will connect the both switches only ?? right...

Please can you send me the commands to configure the master and slave switches to act as one switch.

yannickrioux
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ali.

To be short, even for layer 3 switches you need not to reconfigure the slave switch. The slave will take over the role of master switch and same configuration will be used. With same config automatically. You may experiance a small downtime though, this is normal because the slave will have to do some operations to act fully as tge master.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Hi,

Just Connect the stack cables in cross fashion and configure below configuration mode commands in the switches.

Example:

SW(config)#switch 1 provision ws-c3750x-48

SW(config)#switch 2 provision ws-c3750x-48

SW(config)#stack-mac persistent timer 4

Note: In place of switch type "ws-c3750x-48" mentioned in my example please choose your switch module.

Please rate helpful posts.

Warm regards.

Ameya Oke

Thanks alot

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card