Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3800 Series - Traffic Shaping vs. Policy Question

michaelfusco1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

I have 5 Cisco 3800 series routers:

Cisco IOS Software, 3800 Software (C3845-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(24)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

And 3 Cisco 3800 series routers:

Cisco IOS Software, 3800 Software (C3845-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.1(4)M3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

I see the commands for "shape" and "traffic-shape" in documents which are only avialable on my 12.x IOS.. what are the equlivant commands for shaping on the IOS 15.x?

Secondly, any Guidance/opinons/learned lessons on the best use of traffic-shape, rate-limit, bandwidth for traffic shapping Ethernet Circuits from CPE to WAN for Internet access?

Any issues with Class-Map/Policy-Map/cef/ for QoS rules when using Traffic Shapping. example if I say 40% of link, is that based upon the traffic shape or interface speed?

Really apprecaite any opinions on this and if an commands (not perfect, just direction) would be awesome.

Thank You

Michael

1 Reply 1

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

Traffic shaping is available on 15.x code. It is under qos policy-map. Shaping is commonly used when WAN router is getting sub-rated WAN circuit. To avoid packet drops on PE router, CE router usually shape the traffic down to 95% of the CIR, and then add the normal QoS policy under the shaper. This is called H-QoS in Cisco doc.

HTH,
Lei Tian

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card