Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3945E Performance

de1denta
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I'm looking to use a Cisco 3945E to terminate a 1Gbps ethernet internet connection and I want to know the realistic throughput that I can expect. The router will only be configured with BGP with partial routes. No firewall or QoS will be configured.

Has anyone used this router in such a configuration?

Thanks,

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The entire chassis of the 3945E can push up to 502.78 Mbps (HALF duplex, no encryption) of traffic (CEF enabled).

When you mean 1Gb, do you mean an entire chassis or per interface?  The entire chassis of the 7200VXR with NPE-G2 can push up to 1Gbps of traffic (HALF duplex, no encryption).

Have a look at the PDF file attached for more information.

I mean the entire chassis.

That docuement lists the 3945 G2, is that the same as the 3945E?

Yes.  You are correct.

If that is the case then the 3945/3945E is insufficient for your need.  You'll need to look at either the 7200VXR with NPE-G2 or an ASR 1K with ESP 2.5 (a minimum). 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Attached is a Cisco document that describes performance of their later ISRs in different situations.

Thanks for the replys.

The internet connection is currently averaging 200Mbps with a burst of 250Mpbs. I need to scale in growth over the next couple of years (max 350Mbps) and the possible configuration of access lists and QoS. I know features will impact throughput performance.

Will a 3925/45E be ok here or is a ASR1001 recommened?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

On the last page of the Cisco document I provided in my earlier post, Cisco recommends the 3845E for up to 350 Mbps.  Cisco's recommendations tend to be conservative, so if your current usage and expected usage is as you describe, the 3845E should do the job.

Thanks.

Do you have experience in a similar scenario with using a 3560G with IP services to support BGP? I'm not looking to support a full BGP routing table, partial or even defaults will be fine.

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

willscotty2012 wrote:

Thanks.

Do you have experience in a similar scenario with using a 3560G with IP services to support BGP? I'm not looking to support a full BGP routing table, partial or even defaults will be fine.

No, but as long as you don't need services provided by a ISR that are unavailable on a 3560G, it should work fine (also provided you use a "small" BGP route table - you might want to change the SDM template being used).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card