Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4321 Thoughput

de1denta
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I have a 100Mbps DIA circuit being installed for a site and the provider has suggested a Cisco 4321 router to terminate the circuit with the upgraded 100Mbps thoughput license.

Is this a suitable router do you know? My understanding was that a 100Mbps circuit would provide a total combined upstream/downstream thoughput of 200Mbps, is that correct? If so should a Cisco 4331 be used instead?

Thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Looking at the stats I would go 4331 , we use them and we have 50mb and 75mb lines working fine on them in our remote offices , you may struggle with 4321

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/datasheet-c78-732542.html

Model Comparison
Feature 4321 4331
Integrated WAN ports 1 GE / SFP 1 GE 1 GE / SFP 1 GE 1 SFP
Performance 50 Mbps Upgradable to 100 Mbps 100 Mbps Upgradable to 300 Mbps

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Cisco's performance rating, for the 4K series, isn't real clear.  On one of their data sheets they compare their bandwidth to the maximum of 350 Mbps of the earlier ISR G2 series, which is documented as "WAN" bandwidth (which I would assume to mean full-duplex).  On another data sheet they list the 4K series bandwidth as aggregate, which I would assume would mean you need to count duplex twice.

You might ask for clarification from Cisco sales and/or your provider, as how the 100 Mbps is licensed as this would be critical to dealing with a 100 Mbps duplex circuit.

If there's little price delta between the 4321 and the 4331, this question might be moot.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Looking at the stats I would go 4331 , we use them and we have 50mb and 75mb lines working fine on them in our remote offices , you may struggle with 4321

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/datasheet-c78-732542.html

Model Comparison
Feature 4321 4331
Integrated WAN ports 1 GE / SFP 1 GE 1 GE / SFP 1 GE 1 SFP
Performance 50 Mbps Upgradable to 100 Mbps 100 Mbps Upgradable to 300 Mbps

Thanks both. I will look at the ISR 4331

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Cisco's performance rating, for the 4K series, isn't real clear.  On one of their data sheets they compare their bandwidth to the maximum of 350 Mbps of the earlier ISR G2 series, which is documented as "WAN" bandwidth (which I would assume to mean full-duplex).  On another data sheet they list the 4K series bandwidth as aggregate, which I would assume would mean you need to count duplex twice.

You might ask for clarification from Cisco sales and/or your provider, as how the 100 Mbps is licensed as this would be critical to dealing with a 100 Mbps duplex circuit.

If there's little price delta between the 4321 and the 4331, this question might be moot.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card