Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

cisco 4500 chassis switch specs

Cisco 4500 chassis switch mentions 48Gbps per slot.

What does it mean? if i am putting 12 port 10 GE i.e. 120Gbps per slot, will it support?

2 REPLIES

cisco 4500 chassis switch specs

This means that the slot can only have 48Gbps slot to the backplane.  It cant operate beyond 48Gbps.

So if you have 12 ports 10Ge, then if all the 12x 10Ge ports are being used, they will share that bandwidth, that is 48Gbps divided by 12, it comes out only 4 Gb per port.

However if you only have four 10Ge ports used, then each port can operate at 10Ge.

Super Bronze

Re: cisco 4500 chassis switch specs

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Cisco 4500 chassis switch mentions 48Gbps per slot.

What does it mean?

It means the newer +E chassis supports up to 48Gbps to the line card.  (NB: it also requires a sup7 or sup8.)

if i am putting 12 port 10 GE i.e. 120Gbps per slot, will it support?

Yes and no.  The line card itself only has 48 Gbps to the chassis, and for that particular line card, 12 Gbps is shared by groups of 3 ports (i.e. 3 10g ports, each 12 Gbps, by 4 groups = 48 Gbps).

In theory, it's possible all 12 ports could accept a frame at the same time, i.e. 120 Gbps received, but they would need to queue about 2 out of 3 frames as they transmit to the chassis.

For egress, the ports could limited by the bandwidth to the line card.

Also in theory, if you had one 10g and two 1g links per port group of 3, you could run all a wire speed.

Views
Helpful
Replies