Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 7204 NPE-G1 GRE tunnel issue

manish arora
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Experts,

I have a 7204 router with NPE -G1 card and have around 200 GRE tunnels with a lot of data input/output from tunnels. Due to amount of high Data or ip input , i am running 60+ % CPU , does having any hardware acceleration cards ( VPN MODULES) thats i can use to speed up GRE tunnels and reduce the load on my CPU ?

PLEASE HELP.

thanks

Manish

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Short answer is i think you are stuck.

There is nothing in the 7200 literature to indicate an upgrade path short of replacing the G1 with a G2 and tossing in

the VPN accelerator. (Not sure it would help with GRE) the accelerator mod only works with the NPE G2

I'd look at a router upgrade.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

manish arora
Level 6
Level 6

Guys,

ANY THINGS to help me out here .

Thanks

Manish

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Short answer is i think you are stuck.

There is nothing in the 7200 literature to indicate an upgrade path short of replacing the G1 with a G2 and tossing in

the VPN accelerator. (Not sure it would help with GRE) the accelerator mod only works with the NPE G2

I'd look at a router upgrade.

Thank you ....  thats what i thought , but spending company is against our company policy , so I will try to optimize data that needs to be tunneled.

thanks again

manish

You are welcome. Congrats on squeezing every bit of processing power out of the NPE

About all you can do is look for an archectecture that moves away from GRE. Thats a process beast.

make sure you don't have any convoluted access lists or complicated routing.

Good Luck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card