Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

cisco 7204 NPE-G1 GRE tunnel issue

Hi Experts,

I have a 7204 router with NPE -G1 card and have around 200 GRE tunnels with a lot of data input/output from tunnels. Due to amount of high Data or ip input , i am running 60+ % CPU , does having any hardware acceleration cards ( VPN MODULES) thats i can use to speed up GRE tunnels and reduce the load on my CPU ?

PLEASE HELP.

thanks

Manish

• WAN Routing and Switching
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Re: cisco 7204 NPE-G1 GRE tunnel issue

Short answer is i think you are stuck.

There is nothing in the 7200 literature to indicate an upgrade path short of replacing the G1 with a G2 and tossing in

the VPN accelerator. (Not sure it would help with GRE) the accelerator mod only works with the NPE G2

I'd look at a router upgrade.

4 REPLIES

Guys,

ANY THINGS to help me out here .

Thanks

Manish

Gold

Short answer is i think you are stuck.

There is nothing in the 7200 literature to indicate an upgrade path short of replacing the G1 with a G2 and tossing in

the VPN accelerator. (Not sure it would help with GRE) the accelerator mod only works with the NPE G2

I'd look at a router upgrade.

Thank you ....  thats what i thought , but spending company is against our company policy , so I will try to optimize data that needs to be tunneled.

thanks again

manish

Gold

You are welcome. Congrats on squeezing every bit of processing power out of the NPE

About all you can do is look for an archectecture that moves away from GRE. Thats a process beast.

make sure you don't have any convoluted access lists or complicated routing.

Good Luck.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.