Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7204VXR - IPFR to AVPN circuit

zzbronski
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

Will the exisitng  PA-MC-2T1 module work for this WAN circuit upgrade? They are currently configured for a IPFR circuit with two T1's. New circuit has been installed but we need to confirm the existing card will support the new AVPN circuit. Hardware in chassis listed below.

NAME: "Chassis", DESCR: "Cisco 7204VXR, 4-slot chassis"
PID: CISCO7204VXR      , VID:    , SN:   

NAME: "NPE400 0", DESCR: "Cisco 7200VXR Network Processing Engine NPE-400"
PID: NPE-400           , VID:    , SN:   

NAME: "module 0", DESCR: "I/O Dual FastEthernet Controller"
PID: C7200-I/O-2FE/E   , VID:    , SN:   

NAME: "disk0", DESCR: "Cisco 7200 I/O PCMCIA Flash Disk, 64M"
PID: MEM-I/O-FLD64M    , VID:    , SN:           

NAME: "module 2", DESCR: "HSSI"
PID: PA-H=             , VID:    , SN:   

NAME: "module 3", DESCR: "Channelized T1/PRI with CSU"
PID: PA-MC-2T1           , VID:    , SN:

NAME: "Power Supply 1", DESCR: "Cisco 7200 AC Power Supply"
PID: PWR-7200-AC       , VID:    , SN:           

NAME: "Power Supply 2", DESCR: "Cisco 7200 AC Power Supply"
PID: PWR-7200-AC       , VID:    , SN:

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It should. Its just the encapsulation method. if one one of the T-1's on the NM is not used right now go into config mode for that int, and try encapsulation ppp

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

From your question, it appears you are describing the type of service that runs over the link itself (IPFR = Internet Protocol Enabled Frame Relay) or AVPN (ATT Virtual Private Network).

Is the VPN going to be delivered over frame relay ?

Are you changing bandwidth ?

No, the circuit is changing from ip frame to ppp. I just need to know if the module currently used, PA-MC-2T1, will work with the new AVPN circuit for ppp encapsulation as opposed to IPFR. I have not been able to find anything in Cisco about it. When I looked up the module in Cisco it says it can be used for voice PRI's. But this is for WAN circuit.

The bandwidth is not really changing, is still one T1. But due to the nature of the different type of circuit, IPFR to AVPN, the bandwidth is changing somewhat because of the difference in overhead.

It should. Its just the encapsulation method. if one one of the T-1's on the NM is not used right now go into config mode for that int, and try encapsulation ppp

I figured it out. I had to assign a channel-group to the controller in order for it to show the other serial port. Thanks for kick starting my brain!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card