cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 7206VXR

sethumadhavan
Level 1
Level 1

I face an issue with a 7206vxr having both NPEG1 and an I/O FE controller. The boot sequence of the IOS image first line points to image on the NPEG1 and second to the one on the I/O controller. Still the router boots with the second image from the I/O.

Regards

Sethu

3 Replies 3

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Quoting from the NPE-G1 data sheet:

"Console and auxiliary ports: Because the NPE-G1 has a console port and an auxiliary port, and handles the other functionality of the I/O controller, the need for an I/O controller is eliminated. However, an I/O controller can still be used. If an I/O controller is detected in the I/O controller slot, I/O controller functionality defaults to the I/O controller (with the exception of Non-volatile Random Access Memory [NVRAM] and boot flash). The console and auxiliary ports of the NPE-G1 are then disabled."

This suggests that when both an I/O controller and NPE-G1 are present, only the bootflash and NVRAM on the NPE-G1 are useable.

Therefore, in your case, you will not be able to get your router to boot off the NPE-G1. As a definitive test, delete all images from the I/O controller and see if the router boots from the NPE-G1. I suspect it will not...

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh.

Hi ,

I checked this by removing the image on the I/O controller card. The router still boots with the image that is present on the NPEG1. Hence we can conclude that with NPEG1 and I/O controller, we can make the router to boot with NPEG1 or I/O controller by specifying the needed ones in the boot sequence.

The one instance of the boot problem that happened to me was some other issue then.

Regards

Sethu.

Hi Sethu,

Yeah, without looking at your configs, it's hard to say why I did not boot up off the NPE-G1 in the first place...

So are you saying that you have got this working now with valid images on both the I/O controller and the NPE-G1 ?

Paresh.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card