cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7609 with Sup720 and MSFC3 card --- Per packet load sharing command

sgopikrishnan
Level 1
Level 1

I have checked in 2 cisco 7609 routers i did not find the "ip load sharing per-packet" command itself on physical interface or logincal interface also.

IOS tried SRA and SRC releases:-

--------

example:-

DD(config)# int mul 11

DD(config-if)#ip load-sharing

DD(config-if)#ip load-sharing ?

per-destination Deterministic distribution

DD(config-if)#ip load-sharing

---------

I am not able disable the CEF in this platform also and "no ip route-cache" command is also not there.

The below link says the command is integrated on cisco SRA release

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipswitch/command/reference/isw_i1.html#wp1012465

anybody has seen the same issue or is it a hardware limitation.

--> I think it is a hardware limitation.

Any comments

Thanks,

GK

9 Replies 9

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Gopikrishnan,

as already explained in another thread multilink PPP performs per-packet load-balancing on its own so the command you are looking is not needed it is already happening.

and CEF is needed in a multilayer switch

compare with

sh ppp multilink

sh int ser x/y

sh int ser x/z

you should see load balancing in action

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Gopikrishnan ,

have a look at RFC1717 that defines MLPPP

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1717.html

"Once multilink has been successfully negotiated, the sending system

is free to send PDUs encapsulated and/or fragmented with the

multilink header."

Hope to help

Giuseppe

my requirement is per packet load balancing between 2 multilinks(each link has 20 E1) and per packet option is not available only on Cisco 7609 router.

Everything is working fine on 7206(per packet and per destination options available on physical and multilink interface

Why this is not happening on 7609 platform?

I am finding the same in 6509 platform.

Are these 2 plaform designed only for fast switching 6509 and 7609 platforms

per-packet load-sharing?

disable CEF ??

These things are very much not kosher in networking, it is a good thing that have been eliminated from these L3 switches.

Hi,

Thanks for response,

My requirement is per packet load balancing between 2 multilinks(each link has 20 E1) and per packet option is not available only on Cisco 7609 and 6509 router with Sup720 and MSFC3 card.

>>By default / RFC on Single multilink it is per packet and when i have 2 multilinks in these platform i am not able perform this per packet using the commands ?

is it a hardware limitation ?

or with any hardware upgradation(like sup or msfc) solve my issue on 7609 routers ???

any cisco links related to this.

kindly help me out.

Thanks,

GK

Per-packet load sharing cause out-of-order packets, and it should never be done.

If you need to aggreagte many many Eq1 lines, get inverse muxes to E3 then try to MLPPPon the E3s.

Hello Gopikrishnan,

please read the RFC that defines multilink PPP as I tried to explain twice

you don't need per-packet load -sharing on a multilink bundle PPP multilink does its own per packet load balancing.

even in a C7206 you may be able to give the command but it is not that command that makes the ppp multilink to load balances per-packet on the member links it is built-in in the feature.

And don't try to disable CEF on C7600 or C6509 is needed to work ( I hope you cannot disable it)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

Thanks for the help Giuseppe

>I have 2 bundled Multilinks on 7609. By RFC in a single bundled multilinks it is per packet.

>now i am trying load sharing with 2 multilink bundles on per packet.

>in 7206 after giving per packet option only it started to load share between 2 bundles.

R7609|---- Mul 1(bundled 20 E1 links)

|---- Mul 2(bundled 20 E1 links)

>> when a session goes from 7609 i want to make use of both bundles.

Thanks,

GK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card