Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 831 router, static IP, DSL, CRWS is hanging

slikrik98
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I have a DSL account with a dedicated static IP address. My DSL modem is in Bridge Mode (so the line doesn't terminate at the modem). When I manually set my workstation to use the static IP, everything works fine (and this post is proof of that), however I can't seem to get my Cisco 831 router to work. I go to Setup Scenario, and then select the "static IP, no termination" option, enter my gateway, dns servers, wan ip address, and subnet mask (I leave the domain name empty). When I click "Apply" however, the progress bar seems to go on infinitely (I let it run for 30 minutes, and it still said "applying settings"). Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It should be , by which I meant, it should be the same as the IP address configured by the ISP on their router's link towards you. It cannot be your own router IP...

Paresh

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

What browser are you using ? CRSW supports Netscape 4.5 or better (but not Netscape 6.x) and also Internet Explorer 5.0 or better...

Paresh

I am using IE 6.0

This could be either a browser thing or a router thing ..it's best to eliminate the browser first.

Do you have the latest version of Java on your machine ? It might be worth checking that ...

Paresh.

yes, i have the latest java version. perhaps there's a way to get the same configuration through IOS ?

Sure...

Instead of using CRWS, you can just try and telnet to the router's IP address. Once you are in, you can use CLI commands to make your config changes...

Regards,

Paresh

I'm not entirely sure what commands i need to use to replicate the CRWS setup options, which include:

1. WAN IP address

2. DNS server #1, #2

3. Gateway

4. subnet mask

Here's what I was able to find (they may or may not be the right sequence of commands):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

enable

configure terminal

interface ethernet 1

ip address ##.##.##.## ##.##.##.## (the first is my ip address, the 2nd is my subnet mask)

ip name-server ##.##.##.## (this is my primary DNS)

ip default-gateway ##.##.##.##

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

after shutting down the IOS, i opened the CRWS again, and the WAN IP was correct (from what I had done through telnet), however, there was no value for DNS servers, and I still had no connection.

I'm concerned about the CRWS not working (still, it just hangs when I try to use the setup utility). Any thoughts, and can you give me specific IOS commands to replicate the CRWS configuration?

Thanks!

Hi,

If you log into the 837 and then issue the following command 'sh running-config', it will output the current config for the router. If you could then post that config, I'd be able to better advise on how to configure it up...

Regards,

Paresh

Here is the output of "sh running-config":

Current configuration : 1916 bytes

!

version 12.3

no service pad

service timestamps debug uptime

service timestamps log uptime

service password-encryption

!

hostname slikrik

!

boot-start-marker

boot-end-marker

!

no logging buffered

enable secret 5 $1$Sc/d$9Xww4E6XKTxXPRJJay2xP0

!

username CRWS_Kannan privilege 15 password 7

username slikrik password 7

no aaa new-model

ip subnet-zero

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.10.10.1

!

ip dhcp pool CLIENT

import all

network 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 10.10.10.1

lease 0 2

!

!

ip domain lookup source-interface Ethernet1

ip name-server

ip name-server

ip audit notify log

ip audit po max-events 100

ip ssh break-string

no ftp-server write-enable

no scripting tcl init

no scripting tcl encdir

!

!

!

no crypto isakmp enable

!

!

!

!

interface Ethernet0

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

no cdp enable

hold-queue 32 in

!

interface Ethernet1

ip address 255.255.255.0

ip nat outside

duplex auto

no cdp enable

!

interface FastEthernet1

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet2

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet3

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet4

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

!

ip nat inside source list 102 interface Ethernet1 overload

ip classless

ip http server

no ip http secure-server

!

!

access-list 23 permit 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255

access-list 102 permit ip 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255 any

!

control-plane

!

!

line con 0

exec-timeout 120 0

no modem enable

transport preferred all

transport output all

stopbits 1

line aux 0

transport preferred all

transport output all

line vty 0 4

access-class 23 in

exec-timeout 120 0

login local

length 0

transport preferred all

transport input all

transport output all

!

scheduler max-task-time 5000

!

end

The only thing that I see missing from your config is:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

Pls enter that in see how you go..

Pls rate posts that help.

Paresh

I tried that command, but got an error message, "invalid next hop (the router's IP)"

It should be , by which I meant, it should be the same as the IP address configured by the ISP on their router's link towards you. It cannot be your own router IP...

Paresh

I understand that, and made the ip 70.21.x.x (my ISP-assigned IP address). My router IP address is 10.10.10.1.

Could you tell me what the last octet of that IP is ? And the subnet mask that you are using on the WAN link ?

Thanks,

Paresh

I'd prefer not to post my public IP address, but if it's necessary, perhaps I could. The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 (if it helps, the gateway address, as specified by my ISP, is identical to my IP address except the last quartet is 1)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card