cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 851 Router - Initial setup

lamypotts
Level 1
Level 1

I have connected the router using the network cable provided to a PC (cable is in lowest numbered LAN port)

I turned on PC and Router and the PC was set to obtain IP automatically - and it adjusted its usual IP of 172.x.x.x to 192.168.1.1 assigned by DHCP so i assume this is the router :)

I then put in the CD provided with teh router in the PC and first tried "First time router setup" - It gave me a simple diagram to connect router to PC and asks to click on "launch cisco SDM express" - This does not appear to work and receive a "page cannot be displayed message"

i decided to then leave that for a minute and instead of clicking "first time router setup" select "install SDM" i installed the software to PC. It did give the option for PC , router or both - i tried both first but i didnt know the username and pass (is there a default one?!?!)

the software installed fine - i ran the launch SDM icon on desktop. It asks for "device IP address or Hostname" so i select 10.10.10.1 fromt he dropdown (is this right/default?)

I don't tick the "this device has HTTPS enabled and i want to use it" as i dont know if it has and if it didnt i do not know how to change this.

I click launch and receive the following error

- unable to launch SDM due to one of more of the following reasons

1) The IP address or hostname is not a valid router address or is not reachable

2) HTTP/HTTPS is disabled on the router - SDM requires HTTP or HTTPS to be enabled on the router. If you are running HTTP or HTTPS on a custom port, specify the port number along with the device IP address or hostname (e.g. 10.10.10.1:<port number>

Any idea's what the problem is? Seems like i have fallen at the first hurdle.

Thanks

Chris

1 Reply 1

lamypotts
Level 1
Level 1

Replying to my own message :)

How very confusing - all of this was fixed by simply a factory reset. After that the router gave my PC an IP of 10.10.10.2 with default gateway of .1

Quick question - how difficult is it to set up VPN on the cisco 851 to some-one whos know a bit about computers but ZERO knowledge of cisco. I'm hoping this SDM software can do it all for me?

Regards

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card