Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8540 switch replacement

mohammedrafiq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have to replace my cisco 8540 switch with any other suitable switch/router, we are only using this switch to split PVC's.

155M Wan comes into this from my service provider, into 8540 and here we split into 3 differnt pvc which then sepreatley connected to 7204 and 3640 routers. can someone suggust me any alternative product.

Regards,

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

Unfortunately cisco has discontinued the ATM product line derived from the ls1010 like the 8540, and is suggesting the MGX as replacements. See:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps718/prod_eol_notice0900aecd802bf057.html

But, the MGX has a completely different architecture, doesn't run Cisco IOS, and in practice it can be an overkill for a simple task like you need.

So considering that the last date support for the 8540 is april 2011, I would suggest keeping the current product, possibly replace it with a smaller 1010 than can be easily found on the used market.

An alternative is that you terminate all the PVC on a single router, an rearrange your netowork to that connection to other routers is made via ethernet.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Hi,

The issue is, wan comes in as only in one pipe into 8540, then 8540 split into 3 different PVC.

Yes I understand. So my suggestion to either keep the 8540 until supported, or redesign the network so that the other router uses ethernet and not ATM. For example if the PVC are used into separate domains/address, etc, you can use VRF to make so the receiving router trats the 3 PVC as if it was really three virtual routers.

Hi,

We cant keep these switches cos they are not under contract and start failling ocationally.

I do understand your point to create 3 vrf, which will be easy if we use MPLS on our network/8540switch , our service provider is MPLS but their D-marc point is in london exchange and from their they deliver 155M over ATM to us.the only way I can see this is if they extend their D-marc point in our building and from their we can have 3 ethernet cables to our 3 different domain in routers/

Regards,

Hi,

You don't need MPLS for VRF. This is called VRF-lite. Basically you associate two or more interfaces or subinterfaces to a VRF, the routing tables will be separated and that's it. If you need to redistribute something between the routing tables you can do that as well.

Good luck!

Hi Thanks for your help,

Can you send me little sample config for vrf-lite without using MPLS on router.

Regards,

Hi, the following document is for the 4500 switch, but it works just the same on the router. Good luck!

Hi,

I think you forgot the attachment.

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: