cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 857 adsl connection problems

kayasaman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, first up I would like to say thanks for sorting out my dhcp issues in the getting started with LANS part of the forum!

I have an issue now with my adsl connection. I have set up the dialer 0 and atm 0 interfaces according to this guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/tk15/technologies_configuration_example09186a008071a601.shtml

and have supplied my ISP settings:

VPI 0

VCI 38

Encapsulation VC/MUX or VC Based

Protocol PPPoA

Mode G.DMT

Authentication CHAP

Preferred MTU 1500 (or as close to as possible)

I have supplied my config as txt file.

Again I'm very new to Cisco so please take things step by step.

Many thanks!

48 Replies 48

Is there any documentation on upgrading the 800 series as the one I've found: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a0080094c07.shtml

is for 7000 series upwards?

If the basic principle is the same it means creating an ftp server from pc then downloading the image from the pc to the router.

I don't suppose there is a direct way through terminal?

Just use tftpd32 that is a free download and works nicely. No way to do it without a TFTP / FTP / HTTP/ RCP server.

Ok I transferred the file to the routers flash memory, now how do I get the system to use the binary?

I had a look at the upgrade command but it didn't work so I'm guessing I have to append a boot parameter somewhere?

Please read the document in the same directory on how to install the adsl firmware.

After, verify installation with "show dsl interface".

Thanks I think I upgraded fine, the only thing is that after running the command "show dsl interface atm 0" and "show interface atm" it doesn't tell me what version of firmware I'm using. After running: show dsl interface

Result is: ATM0

Alcatel 20190 chipset information

Line has not yet been activated. No information available.

DSL: Training log buffer capability is not enabled

Brilliant, thank you so much I now have link and an IP!!! :-)

I think most of problems are over now, just whenever I try to ping outside the router now to test the connection it keeps trying to connect to the internal "ip name-server" instead of using dns provided by my isp and because of this pc not able to connect to internet. Is there a command for obtaining dns from isp or should I just clear the internal name-server?

Hi,

glad to know the ADSL firmware has put you on-line. If you remove the name-servers from the configuration, the router will obtain them via PPP if you configure "ppp ipcp dns request' under dialer1.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

Ok I got dns servers in!

Strange thing is that if I now try and ping a domain like say yahoo it comes out with "unrecognized host or address, or protocol not running" and if I ping the dns servers it just says "protocol not running"

I don't know if this is a routing issue, ie I didn't set something up right or if I need to configure RIP?

Oh and btw thanks for the patience if there was a rating for that you'd definately get tops!!!

No need for rip. Actually the name servers on the router are not important, anyway, if you have problems, do "show ip dns view" and check that the right addresses are in there.

Also check the access-list you are using in NAT statement.

This forum is to help anyone that has the patience of listening to advice and I whish something like that existed when I startedplaying with routers many many years ago.

"Show ip dns view" didn't work so I tried "show ip dns statistics/primary"

"primary" returned blank and "statistics" returned 0

As for my nat I have the lines:

ip nat pool pool1 192.168.1.0 192.168.2.0 netmask 0.0.0.255

ip nat source list 1 interface dialer0 overload

ip nat source list 100 dialer0 overload

My atm0 ip address is 200.200.100.1 255.255.255.0

I tried to create a new pool, pool2 which would be from 200.200.100.0

But when I use ping command it shows that it's connecting to dns servers, dns 1 and dns 2 and displays the ip addresses but still comes up with the same issue!

I'm really not sure where to start looking now, unless maybe I create a vlan between dns pool1 and pool2 ???

I managed to create an access-list:

access-list 1 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.2.0 access-list 1 permit 200.200.100.0 0.0.200.0

then used this command: ip nat inside source list 1 pool no-overload to allow everything inside access

but I still keep getting dns errors?

Hi, the access-list should be like

access-list 1 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255

Do not use ATM address in access-list.

You do not need to use any VLAN neither.

Ok hopefully I've setup my nat correctly with the command you suggested.

I'm still getting the dns issue though and after googling I discovered this: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/reversedns.html

which I don't think is for dns provided by isp, never the less I tried playing and now after I type ping url it comes out with dns as 255.255.255.255 ?? I don't know how to clear this, I typed no ip name-server and no ip subnet-zero but still it's there?

The problem I was getting before modifying my dns setup was:

Router# ping www.novell.com Translating "www.novell.com"...domain server (dns 1, dns 2) % Unrecognized host or address, or protocol not running.

and now I see:

Router# ping www.novell.com Translating "www.novell.com"...domain server (255.255.255.255) % Unrecognized host or address, or protocol not running.

Hi, seems like the ISP is not passing the DNS address via IPCP, so you could remvoe that command and just configure the DNS statically.

I've now tried with static dns and same problem: Unrecognized host or address, or protocol not running.

which leads me to believe that I have to activate something like a deamon to start the protocol, or my routing is not setup correctly?

I've attached my current config so maybe there's something I haven't put or something I have which shouldn't be there!

Maybe even it has something to do with the dialerlist 1 protocol ip permit command?

Either way I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work with my isp as I previously had a D-Link and now an Action Tech modem/router hooked up and everythings fine with them.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card