cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 860 Integrated Services Router - Can switchports be used as routing ports?

fvalpondi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I got a Cisco 860 and I'd like to know if the switchports in it can be used as routing ports. Every port for a different subnetwork.

I know there is a similar IOS for Catalyst (IPSERVICES), but I do not know if it exists for this one.

Thanks a lot!

Fabio

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

nsengupta
Level 1
Level 1

No, you have to create VLANs and assign ports, you will not be able to directly configure IP addresses on the Switch ports.`

View solution in original post

fvalpondi wrote:

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

Well, any Catalyst switch is able to activate a "switch port" as a routing port (using the "ip routing" and "no switchport" commands) if it has the appropiate IOS version.

That's why I wanted to know if there was any version for the router 860 that could perform this on its switch ports.

best regards.

Fabio

Fabio

Not every Catalyst switch can use routed ports, the switch needs to be a L3 switch ie. 3560 upwards. A L2 switch such as the 2960 does not support routed ports.

The 860 ports are L2 switchports only. What you can do is create vlans and then assign the ports to different vlans. However from the datasheet the 860 only supports 2 vlans. I know that with some of these routers upgrading the feature set means it supports more vlans but i can't find any mention of this for the 860.

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi Fabio,

The ports present in those router are switch ports and hence you cant make them act as routed

ports using any IOS upgrade. I'm expecting more suggestions towards this question, though.

Happy Networking!!!

Rgds,

Narendrakumar B

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

Well, any Catalyst switch is able to activate a "switch port" as a routing port (using the "ip routing" and "no switchport" commands) if it has the appropiate IOS version.

That's why I wanted to know if there was any version for the router 860 that could perform this on its switch ports.

best regards.

Fabio

fvalpondi wrote:

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

best regards.

Fabio

Fabio

Not every Catalyst switch can use routed ports, the switch needs to be a L3 switch ie. 3560 upwards. A L2 switch such as the 2960 does not support routed ports.

The 860 ports are L2 switchports only. What you can do is create vlans and then assign the ports to different vlans. However from the datasheet the 860 only supports 2 vlans. I know that with some of these routers upgrading the feature set means it supports more vlans but i can't find any mention of this for the 860.

Jon

Hi Jon,

you are right, L3-Switches. I explained myself not clearly. Anyway, the L3 switch has to run over the appropiate IOS...

Does anyway the router perform intervlan routing if i set the ports in different vlans?

nsengupta
Level 1
Level 1

No, you have to create VLANs and assign ports, you will not be able to directly configure IP addresses on the Switch ports.`

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card