Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 870 router performance

aseychell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I have a setup where I have 8 cameras connected each sending a max output of 4Mbps each. This sums up to 32Mbps. This traffic will be flowing between the vlans on the router interfaces.

I already have cisco 871 routers and I want to know what is the performance of these routers.

I could not find a definate answer on the internet. The routers will only do routing between fa0,1,2,3,4 (with fa0-3 on different vlans). No particular logging will be enabled, neither NAT, IPSEC, ACL,etc.

As per Cisco site"

Aggregate performance with Cisco IOS Firewall and logging enabled is up to 70 Mbps for the Cisco 870 Series, using 1400-byte packets"

If this is so, I think that the 870 is enough. I cannot understand exactly what is meant by "Aggregate Performance".

Could someone please put some light on this.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Have a test. Chances are that an 870 is not enough as is not built for inter-vlan routing and you may need to scale up a little like a 1841 or 2801.

beside, the 8xx is really meant as a broadband/VPN termination router and not to build some infrastructure on it.

Aggregate means, they took one or mores streams totalizing like 35 mbps in one direction, 35 in the other, and the result is what is declared. Key is that the large packet size. Smaller packets may limit performances very much.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card