Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

CISCO 871 LAN to LAN performance (switch side)

Have you any idea of the rough max throughput achievable LAN to LAN with a CISCO 871 or any CISCO of this type 87x(I mean here a LAN connected on the internal switch to another LAN on the switch, routed via WCCP redirection or PBR) ? Do you think we can achieve 10 Mbps ? 100 Mbps ? I' d like to achieve content delivery LAN to LAN (with a local WAFS FE) and wonder if such an equipment, CISCO871, is sufficient. May be a CISCO 1811 would be more indicated ?

• WAN Routing and Switching
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: CISCO 871 LAN to LAN performance (switch side)

I use a Cisco 877W and when I FTP something from one subnet to another via the internal switch the throughput is around 25mbit

6 REPLIES

Hello,

the 870 has a throughput of roughly 13 Mbps, while the 1800 goes up to about 35 Mbps. Have a look at the link below for an overview of the switching performance of the various router platforms. The 870 is actually meant for small offices with up to 20 users, so for heavy utilization, you might be better off with an 1800 model...

Router Switching Performance in Packets Per Second (PPS)

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

HTH,

GNT

Silver

In this case, you also need to consider the external factor, e.g. WCCP, cache server and PBR CPUR process loading. I suggest to setup a lab to test it before deliver to the customer. It should not be difficult to test the limitation of 871.

I use a Cisco 877W and when I FTP something from one subnet to another via the internal switch the throughput is around 25mbit

very interesting, which packet size did you use ?

I don't know. I just transferred from WindowsXP to my XBOX. I think tcp adjust-mss was set to 1432 on my BVI1 interface.

I thought WorldCom didn't exist anymore ? :-) I used to work for Verizon/MCI/WorldCom/UUNET

Many tks for your answer. Right, it's Verizon now. I'll check if I can change it.

Views
Helpful
Replies