Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco devices don't fully support EIGRP

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi,

We got this question from our CSC Twitter community.

What IGP protocol we should use? - OSPF. Our Cisco devices don't fully support EIGRP.

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your Cisco devices do not fully support EIGRP then OSPF might be a good choice of dynamic routing protocol for you to run. And depending on your circumstances it might also be a satisfactory solution to run RIP or RIPv2.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello,

That was my question... or maybe not question... From begining.

We have Core network based on 6500 with SUP32-3B (nothing speciall). We've immplemented L3 dynamic routing protocol.

Of course, we're using only Cisco devices... so the answer for the question which routing protocol should we use? was EIGRP.

In prepare phase we tried to test commands... and there is only Stub support for EIGRPv4 and there is no support for EIGRPv6...

but there is fully support for OSPFv2 and OSPFv3.

So the real question is... why CISCO doesn't support CISCO's protocol (EIGRP) on Cat6500?

Regards,

I know that there are some Cisco layer 3 switches or feature sets on those switches that support EIGRP stub routing but not the full implementation of EIGRP. I was not aware that this was true of the 6500.

If your 6500 does not support the full implementation of EIGRP it may be a restriction of the particular release and feature set that you are running. I know that it is not a restriction of the 6500 itself. I have customers running 6500 switches that are running full feature EIGRP on those 6500 switches.

Perhaps you can post details of the version and feature set of the code that you are running?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

So the real question is... why CISCO doesn't support CISCO's protocol (EIGRP) on Cat6500?

I agree with Rick.  What is your IOS and feature set?

I've played with the Sup32 and we ran OSPF with EIGRP and no issue.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card