Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco HSRP vs MPLS Fast Re-route

Hello Experts,

I know the HSRP and MPLS FRR are two different technologies, however their aim to solve the same issue of recovery in the event of a failure.

Can someone please tell me (or provide a link) where I can find information on the benefits and advantages or disadvantages of using MPLS FRR over HSRP?

If you are knowledgeable to know the answer then I would love to hear your views.

Really appreciate your help with this one.

Cheers

Carlton

Hello Experts,

I know the HSRP and MPLS FRR are two different technologies, however their aim to solve the same issue of recovery in the event of a failure.

Can someone please tell me (or provide a link) where I can find information on the benefits and advantages or disadvantages of using MPLS FRR over HSRP?

If you are knowledgeable to know the answer then I would love to hear your views.

Really appreciate your help with this one.

Cheers

Carlton

Everyone's tags (4)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

In my own opinion, I don't think you can compare the two.

HSRP is much more localized to a set of routers. FRR requires a pretty comprehensive MPLS traffice engineering build.

You see this in large service provider networks.

2 REPLIES
Gold

In my own opinion, I don't think you can compare the two.

HSRP is much more localized to a set of routers. FRR requires a pretty comprehensive MPLS traffice engineering build.

You see this in large service provider networks.

Agreed to vmiller. They are totally different technology / feature. HSRP is a First-hop redundancy protocol. Whereas FRR is a mechanism to protect MPLS TE LSPs from a node / path failure.

So, comparing these two feature is not worth, IMHO too.

Thanks

Vivek

Views
Helpful
Replies