Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco HSRP vs MPLS Fast Re-route

Hello Experts,

I know the HSRP and MPLS FRR are two different technologies, however their aim to solve the same issue of recovery in the event of a failure.

Can someone please tell me (or provide a link) where I can find information on the benefits and advantages or disadvantages of using MPLS FRR over HSRP?

If you are knowledgeable to know the answer then I would love to hear your views.

Really appreciate your help with this one.

Cheers

Carlton

Hello Experts,

I know the HSRP and MPLS FRR are two different technologies, however their aim to solve the same issue of recovery in the event of a failure.

Can someone please tell me (or provide a link) where I can find information on the benefits and advantages or disadvantages of using MPLS FRR over HSRP?

If you are knowledgeable to know the answer then I would love to hear your views.

Really appreciate your help with this one.

Cheers

Carlton

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

In my own opinion, I don't think you can compare the two.

HSRP is much more localized to a set of routers. FRR requires a pretty comprehensive MPLS traffice engineering build.

You see this in large service provider networks.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

In my own opinion, I don't think you can compare the two.

HSRP is much more localized to a set of routers. FRR requires a pretty comprehensive MPLS traffice engineering build.

You see this in large service provider networks.

Vivek Ganapathi
Level 4
Level 4

Agreed to vmiller. They are totally different technology / feature. HSRP is a First-hop redundancy protocol. Whereas FRR is a mechanism to protect MPLS TE LSPs from a node / path failure.

So, comparing these two feature is not worth, IMHO too.

Thanks

Vivek

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card