Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Out of Band Connection

bradlesliect
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

I need to configure a Cisco out band connection for our 3640 routers. Where do I begin? I have a group async configured for ISDN backups for clients dialing in.

!

interface Group-Async1

ip unnumbered FastEthernet0/0

no ip redirects

no ip unreachables

no ip proxy-arp

encapsulation ppp

no ip mroute-cache

load-interval 30

dialer in-band

dialer idle-timeout 0

async mode interactive

peer default ip address pool dialin

ppp authentication pap chap ms-chap RADIUS

group-range 97 114

!

8 Replies 8

Thanks for this link ...BUT.... I need to connect the modem to the Router and get it to accept INCOMING calls on the AUX port. This link explains how to configure the router to dial out using the modem. Need it the other way round i.e. If we lose connectivity to the router via our diginet connectivity, I want to be able to dial in to the router and troubleshoot.

Could this be done connecting the modem to the console port as well or would connecting via the AUX port have the same effect? I know connecting via the console port could become a MAJOR security risk.

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Here's the info on dialin on aux ports:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094bbc.shtml

As you noted, it's not a good idea to attach unprotected modems to the console port as it doesn't log users off when the carrier detect is lost. Configuring aaa would also be advisable.

HTH

Andrew.

Much appreciated. This config is on my router but I cannot get the courier V.Everything modem to accept incoming calls. I have connected it to an analogue line and tried calling it from a fax machine and from a phone line.

At the moment I have AA,OH,MR,CS lights on. The OH does not want to go off.

DIP SWITCH Settings:

1,2,5,6,9 - OFF

3,4,7,8,10 - ON

I know this is not cisco related but a point in the right direction would be good. Tried the USR site and sent them a mail. No luck on site or response to email.

suggestions? comments? help?

Brad,

Try the following config on your aux port.

line aux 0

session-timeout 15

exec-timeout 15 0

login local

modem InOut

modem autoconfigure type usr_courier

length 25

transport input all

stopbits 1

speed 115200

flowcontrol hardware

Dip switch settings

3,8,10 down

All the rest up

Hey there,

The router is configured. The modem is connected. I try to telnet from my workstation or from another router I get error below:

telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 2129

Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

Here is the config:

line aux 0

session-timeout 15

exec-timeout 15 0

password

login authentication modem

modem InOut

modem autoconfigure type usr_courier

length 25

transport input all

transport output telnet

stopbits 1

speed 19200

flowcontrol hardware

Could it be I have the wrong cable or do I have to create an access-list to permit the connection in?

Should the modem not be picking up the call?

Should I add this config to the AUX port as well?

line 129

modem inout

speed 115200

transport input all

login

password

Does anybody know how can I fix this? It works when i connect the modem to my PC it works fine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card