Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco router Configuration register

Pradeep H A
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I was recently looking for some document on the Cisco configuration register values. After some reading I came to know its a 16-bit number.

Then I read this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a008022493f.shtml

The table lists several values for different bit positions & their meaning but I noticed one peculiar thing!

It says if the 6th bit is set then corresponding hex value is 0x0040 meaning ignore NVRAM contents

But if you convert 0x0040 to binary it will be 0000 0000 0100 0000 its the 7th bit that is set for this hex value not 6th as listed in the document. Similarly all the entries in the table given in document counts one bit less than actual value.

Anybody can advise why this is so?

Thanks a lot in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Pradeep,

bit numbering in the table is 0 to 15. First index is 0 not 1, so bit 6 is actually the seventh bit from right to left using this indexing convention.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Pradeep,

bit numbering in the table is 0 to 15. First index is 0 not 1, so bit 6 is actually the seventh bit from right to left using this indexing convention.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

oh!

Thanks a lot Giuseppe!!

I now realise it was my silly mistake to have missed noticing it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card