cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco routers and RFC 2917

psi17
Level 1
Level 1

I read RFC 2917 which is informational document and not standard od any kind. I think Cisco routers like ISR, ISR2 and ASR meet those requirements but I can find confirmation of this. If someone can confirm this? Thanks.

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can run MPLS on these devices...Is that your question?

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

I try to find confirmation that cisco router are fulfill RFC 2917. I know that I can run MPLS on those routers and I should take bigger routers for that.

What I need is some cisco doc. Strange I know but some client from public tender require it. They don't understend that RFC2917 is informational doc .

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello psi17,

with appropriate SW and licences the devices you have indicated can act as PE routers for L3 VPN over MPLS.

However, SP use bigger boxes for this job for building a lab they are good  ( I refer to ISR and ISR2, ASR are already SP class devices)

In real world you may see ISR used as CE nodes of branch offices of an enterprise customer

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco