cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Telepresence

navneet_78
Level 1
Level 1

Can a Cisco Catalyst 6506 Switch support Telepresence?

Appreciate your response

Regards

Navneet

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hello Navneet,

what do you mean by "support"? Telepresence to my knowledge is an advanced communication (video/voip) solution. The 6506 is supporting voip and video. In this sense: Yes.

Q: Will you have a "three-panel, 65-inch plasma screen system complete with a specially designed table that seats six participants" module for the 6506, i.e. an integrated Cisco TelePresence 3000?

A: Unlikely ;-)

For more details on TelePresence have a look at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7060/index.html

Cheers, Martin

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hello Navneet,

what do you mean by "support"? Telepresence to my knowledge is an advanced communication (video/voip) solution. The 6506 is supporting voip and video. In this sense: Yes.

Q: Will you have a "three-panel, 65-inch plasma screen system complete with a specially designed table that seats six participants" module for the 6506, i.e. an integrated Cisco TelePresence 3000?

A: Unlikely ;-)

For more details on TelePresence have a look at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7060/index.html

Cheers, Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanx for the Reply. Was jus looking for a compatibility of 6506s with Telepresence. I got the answer..:)

Cheers

Navneet

hardiklodhia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Cisco telepresence is different hardware.for more info look at this

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7073/prod_models_home.html

to know abt the technology and related qa

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7073/products_qanda_item0900aecd80544106.shtml

rgrds,

Hi,

The Telpresence traffic will cause some large bursts of traffic. So not all 6506 modules will support these traffic.

There is a list of latest Cat6k/Cat4500 modules and switches which can support these large bursts and are recommended for Telepresence.

Thanks,

Manu

Can you point us to the list of such modules and a cisco document supporting the "burst limitations" that you mentioned ?

balajitvk
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Navneet,

TelePresence, makes high demands on the network for quality of service, availability, and security. Specifically, your network must exhibit the following four critical attributes from end to end: QOS, Nonstop communications,Integrated security,Operational manageability.

There is a document which explains how 6500 switches supports these requirements. It may be helpful to you......

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper0900aecd80655fb2.shtml

Rate if it does,

Rgs.

Hello,

I've read the document and fund that is quite marketing oriented, and this does not contain any indication of modules unable to support "telepresence".

Honestly I would be surprised if there were, because since the start the 6500 linecards were designed for linerate performance, that is some steps above "burst tolerance".

Hi All,

We are using a 3750 Switch at the users end and it is connected to a 3845 ISR at the ISP end. QoS is enabled at 3750.

I repeat myself, no matter the application, and no matter if QoS is configured or not, your 3750 switch will work fine.

QoS on LAN environments in essentially unnecessary, as you can add links as you want.

The only place where you need to configure QoS properly is on the WAN, where congestion occurs.

Hi,

Just to add following is the list of devices suggested for TelePresence deployment considering the QoS and Traffic requirement -

Catalyst 6500

􀀁 WS-X6816-GBIC

􀀁 WS-X6748-SFP *

􀀁 WS-X6748-GE-TX *

􀀁 WS-X6724-SFP *

􀀁 WS-X6708-10G-3CXL *

􀀁 WS-X6708-10G-3C *

􀀁 WS-X6704-10GE *

􀀁 WS-X6516A-GBIC

􀀁 WS-X6516A-GBIC

􀀁 WS-X6516-GBIC

􀀁 WS-X6516-GE-TX

􀀁 WS-X6502-10GE *

􀀁 WS-X6501-10GEX4 *

􀀁 WS-X6416-GE-MT

􀀁 WS-X6416-GBIC

􀀁 WS-X6408A-GBIC

􀀁 WS-X6316-GE-TX

􀀁 WS-X6148A-GE-45F *

􀀁 WS-X6148A-GE-TX *

Catalyst 4500

􀀁 WS-X4548-GB-RJ45V

􀀁 WS-X4548-GB-RJ45

􀀁 WS-X4448-GB-RJ45V

􀀁 WS-X4448-GB-RJ45

Catalyst 4948

􀀁 WS-C4948 *

􀀁 WS-C4948-10GE *

Catalyst 3750 / 3750-E

􀀁 WS-C3750G

􀀁 WS-C3750-E

􀀁 Stacked configurations

Catalyst 3560 / 3560-E

􀀁 WS-C3560G

􀀁 WS-C3560G-E

* Recommended for ports carrying multiple CTS calls and/or multipoint calls (e.g. ports in/out of a CTMS)

All Ethernet switches / line cards in the path must have enough per-port memory buffers to handle the subsecond byte/packet rates

- Any Ethernet switch port carrying one CTS call must have > 400 KB of transmit

memory per port

- Any Ethernet switch port carrying multiple CTS calls (e.g. a port servicing a

CTMS) must have > 1 MB of transmit memory per port

􀀁 All Ethernet switch ports in the path must provide Priority Queuing

􀀁 All Ethernet switch ports in the path should be > 1 Gbps

-> Sushil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card